Red flags when buying a used H260

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
I'm viewing to buy a 2005 H260 this week-end and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should be looking carefully at before I pull the trigger on it. Things that could cause sereous grief or expence down the road? I've never owned a boat this size before and am new to sailing cruisers. I've done a lot of research and the H260 is the boat for me, just want to know if you guys know of a few things specific to the H260 I should watch out for?
Thanks

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I've never had leaky windows but I've read that it's common. I looked at an H26 that leaked big time through the windows.

I would absolutely insist the owner change the centerboard line before you buy it. They are not easy to replace. So make sure he does it. No matter what he says about the condition of it.

We love our '99 H260 and hope you will enjoy yours. I'll post more thoughts if I have any. (Thoughts don't come easy to me. At least not serious thoughts.)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've never had leaky windows but I've read that it's common. I looked at an H26 that leaked big time through the windows.

I would absolutely insist the owner change the centerboard line before you buy it. They are not easy to replace. So make sure he does it. No matter what he says about the condition of it.

We love our '99 H260 and hope you will enjoy yours. I'll post more thoughts if I have any. (Thoughts don't come easy to me. At least not serious thoughts.)
Yeah...

What Kermit said.... I have a new to me H26 and I recently tracked down a pesky leak to the windows on the port side. It is going to be a real pain to fix.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
For a trailer sailor I think they are really nice. Much roomier than the Mac26S we had. My only advice would be to check out the trailer thoroughly since you will be using it a lot. Bearings, brakes, bunks, tires, lights etc

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Oh, I see you are the new kid in town. Welcome to the forum. There are several very knowledgeable H260 owners here. (I qualify as an owner only. Not very knowledgeable.)

Your absolute go-to man is @Crazy Dave Condon. He is a former dealer and knows everything there is to know about the H260. He can be a bit modest at times about his knowledge so trust me when I say he knows his stuff. And he's incredibly generous with his knowledge.

Have fun with your new boat!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
And go for a sail. My new-2-me boat had a blown main sail and I had to drop $1K to buy a new main... it would not sail right before. Now it is great and and soon as I get the leaks fixed, she will be perfect.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Kermee, are you sure you want that many holes in the hull?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Kermee, are you sure you want that many holes in the hull?
Ha ha. Dave offered to put a through hull transducer in for me. I said thanks but putting hole in a perfectly good boat makes as much sense as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. Even with a parachute.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit

Holes in the hull. What dou you do when a riding zero turn lawnmower hit the side of the hull. It is called repair time.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
If that's the one in the classifieds here, looks like a very nice boat. Check that mast crutch- it looks like it should be rotated 180 degrees so the top section is vertical- but easy to fix next time you lower the mast. Also look at the carpet lining the hull for any discoloration- indicating past or current leaks from deck fittings. Agree on the centerboard uphaul replacement if it has not been done- he is not giving it away, so can reasonably expect that.

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
Thanks for all the input. I picked up the 2005 H260 "Second Wind" last week-end and am very happy the purchase (a few bones lighter, but happy). The boat is in fantastic shape and well fitted. I look forward to folllowing this forum and will no doubt be posting more questions and seeking more advise as my wife and I begin our sailing adventure.