Recover headboard on a 380

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
My wife is updating our 380 with new curtains and she really wants to reupholster the headboard. I can't figure out how to get it off the wall section. I thought that when i removed the teak trim along the top I would be able to pull the whole assembly. Unfortunately, the wall liner is glued to the top couple inches. If anybody knows the secret I would appreciate some direction.

Thanks in advance

Ron & Carrie

380 headboard.jpg

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
I just had the aft cushions of my 380 remade and the headboard recovered. My headboard just pulled right off. There are plastic "christmas trees" attached to the backboard. My upholstery guy made an entirely new headboard. He used plastic star board for the base of the unit. New foam and new cover.

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
Great,,,I wanted to just give it pull but thought ok,,,maybe there is a trick. Good thing I tried some finagling though. Upon removing the back teak shelf I found that I have had a leak coming out of the cockpit where it meats the back wall. I have pulled all the teak to dry and will sand and oil. Now to find the leak. Seems that it might be coming from the helm.

Thanks and I will pull the board tomorrow.

Ron

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
Well you were absolutely right,,,4 or 5 good yanks and had it in hand. Carrie has made curtains to match the headboard too.
Thanks
new headboard.jpg

bmohr

Dec 5, 2016
Hunter 376 San Diego
Thanks everyone - I had this question for my 1989 Hunter 376 - which has the exact same 1980's sofa upholstery as what is depicted above. The new upholstery that Carrie made looks really nice! I found a bunch of blue and white light-blocking curtain fabric for a good price, and am going to make some snap-on darkening curtain panels for the rear cabin windows, and will recover the "headboard" in the same fabric as well. I'll try to post a photo when its done. -Beth