recommended outboard motor for capri 14.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peggy Jack

C 14 motor

please advise recommended specifications of outboard motor for a capri 14,2
I prefer no motor. Rather sail when the wind is right (say 2-15 mph) where no motor is needed unless dealing with some uncontrollable current. Have heard others suggest small electric trolling motors, or real small gas ob's. Honda makes a nice ca. 2 hp air cooled for instance. With a C-14 and strong gusty wind, there is always a chance for a capsize which would be tough on any motor. A canoe paddle is useful if the wind dies completly, which avoids many problems of any motor. And I am wondering about the possibility of using a C-14 as a small fishing skiff, with the mast and rigging removed, and say a 5 hp engine? RK

RobK

Feb 27, 2009
2 Capri-16.5 Lewes, Delaware
I've thought the same thing about my 16.5 - fishing. I was looking in the 3.5hp range. But it comes down to what your pushing and what the motor has to over come. The Honda 2 will easily take you up to max rpm's so there is nothing really to overcome. To get more speed you'll need more rpm's or a change in the pitch of your prop - to my knowledge there are no props to swap with. The manufacturer would void the warranty if you did anyway. So what would you gain going to a 3.5 or a 5hp? Very little. The rpm range is the same and I believe your over-all speed would increase 1 or 2 mph? BUT, the noise... the weight of the motor... would be making the biggest difference, I believe - that may be your biggest issue to consider. I don't think you can go wrong with the Honda 2. Many folks use them on their 18's and 22's - that says a lot.
Enjoy -

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
14? Mate, that boat is going to roll like a log. Motor will get dunked, or worse, fall off completely. Rig oar rings or use a paddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.