Recommendations requested - boat covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
I decided to un-hijack BlueRunner's topic about winterizing his H170
(http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=122628)

So...speaking of caring for your boat in the off-season, can anyone recommend a boat cover manufacturer? My boat is an H146. I am in New England, so the cover would need to handle cold, hot, wet and dry. Potentially all on the same day. I would also want to use the cover during the on-season to keep tree debris out of the cockpit etc, so ease of use with the mast in place in the mast tongue and stern holder on the trailer would also be a consideration.

Doing a little online searching I've found a couple of names that come up - Sailorstailor.com and slosailandcanvas.com. Both seem to manufacture quality products. Both offer covers in 'top gun' material, and sailorstailor is significantly more expensive than slosailandcanvas. What did you pay for your cover? Is that considered a reasonable price?

If anyone has other recommendations I'd love to hear them, and I'd also love to hear any feedback on either of the two outfits I mention above.

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
Too Tuff tarps are 8 mil and will last 12-14 months. Murphie's in Philly. Great bargain too.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Wanting some protection for my New H15's first winter but wincing at the cost for a custom cover manufactured and shipped to Australia from the USA I looked at what was available on Oz Ebay. What I found was a local cover made for aluminium dinghies. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of this $US 135 equivalent cover. It is waterproof, breathable and trailerable. As my H15 is fibreglass and not ACP I went for a darker colour but they are available in the light grey sunbrella fabric colour that is recommended for the ACP H146/170's. The brand was Ocean South and might be available in the USA.
I Have attached a grab from their catalogue and a picture of mine. Note, I put a simple 'spine' underneath made from rainwater pipe to help the rain run off and it works a treat.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Very nice. I bought two for my Highlander from Sailor's Tailor, one for the dock and one for the winter. Beautifully done but not cheap. My hope is that it might help resale. But who am I kdding?

Feb 26, 2010
Re covers and stuff I was looking into reducing heat and moisture and found what looks like a good item to do just that. Available on Amazon, eBay and not too expensive.
I have seen it named a few different things but search on boat vent ii. They also have adjustable poles that they fit on to hold the canvas up so the rain runs off.

Attachments

yclaes

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 170 -
Look at Masteheadsailinggear

http://www.mastheadsailinggear.com/

I purchased a custom made cover for my Hunter 170 from them. It fits perfectly and it allows covering the boat while it's rigged. It has zippers to get the cover around the mast and the mainsheet while rigged. When I transport the boat, I use a different cover.

rgds,

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Gents - Thanks for all the good tips, I'll post what I come up with if I decide to invest in a cover and give my wife her side of the garage back...

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA

I purchased a custom made cover for my Hunter 170 from them. It fits perfectly and it allows covering the boat while it's rigged. It has zippers to get the cover around the mast and the mainsheet while rigged.
The website above doesn't have a picture of the "Deck cover-top gun" which is the one I assume you bought. I have no interest in fitting a cover while it's rigged. Do you know if there's an option to buy one of these with out the zipper that allow fitting around the mast?

Ideally, I would like a cover that would fit under the mast when it is in the horizontal position.

yclaes

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 170 -
I have another one to transport the boat, exactly what you are looking for but I did not find that custom made in a store. I made it myself. I used the kind of sail which is used on trucks. It took me many, many winter evenings.

I expect that you can find something right out of a store if you search around. The Masthead company might have something which comes close enough for you.

Let me know if you want some pictures from both cover sails and I'll post them.

rgds,

Oct 8, 2009
My cover solution was a tarp from Home Depot for about $30. Since it wasn't quite big enough, I had to add the small blue tarp to the front to cover the boat. Right now I have the silver side out to reflect any heat from the sun as we're still seeing 60 degree days in mid October, but there won't be many more of those soon. :(

I plan to flip the tarp soon to the brown side out to attract what little winter heat we'll soon be seeing. The back end is open to provide a little airflow and the boat is on a slope so any water that did get in would drain out the back.

Other than cold weather cracks in the hull, my main concern is falling branches from a huge Douglas Fir (the limbs are like good size trees). However, I think I'm outside of the freefall area unless there were some pretty strong winds. I'm thinking of building a frame around the aft part of the boat to take the blunt of a falling limb.

Feb 26, 2010
If it snows where you are how will you prevent the cover from collapsing ? I have seen some people put a frame beneath their cover to support even a high load of snow.
Also, I finally got two of those Boat Vent II’s I mentioned before. They were very easy to install. I stuck some old extension painting handles that I had laying around the garage underneath them to create a tent like effect. Works great! We had a little storm the other day. Not one drop of water pooled anywhere on the cover.

Attachments

Oct 8, 2009
If it snows where you are how will you prevent the cover from collapsing ? I have seen some people put a frame beneath their cover to support even a high load of snow.
I'm in the Seattle area and we very seldom get snow of any amount other than a dusting. I'm more concerned with tree limbs falling as the boat is parked fairly close to a tall Douglas fir that sheds tree-like branches in strong winds (maybe 4-6" in diameter.) I think I'm just out of the danger area, but I'm thinking of putting up some kind of 2x4 frame to protect the perhaps 8' at the aft end of the boat that may take a hit. I don't think the boat would be damaged, but the mast could be messed up.

Last year I had another boat stored next to the tree in question that I thought was protected by some heavy lower limbs. One day I looked out and saw the boat was "turned a bit. When I went outside, I saw there was a heavy limb that cracked the top edge of the transom. Most cosmetic damage, but I still had it repaired since I don't like my "stuff" marred. :(

Feb 26, 2010
Barring a cyclone I'm safe from falling branches even though my boat is parked in the corner of my driveway. I was looking at secure storage at the yacht club I used to race from but that will cost $1000pa (and they are the least expensive in the area). Also being only 5 minutes from one of the best launching ramps in the area I'm reluctant to forgo that convenience.

Oct 8, 2009
$1000 US. That's my price for indoor storage Nov--Mar also. I paid it last year, but it seems a little much for a boat that might be worth $6000. My main concern is hull cracking in the cold weather. However, I don't think I've read anything about an '08 hull with this problem. Since I'm still under the factory warrantee, maybe Hunter will replace my hull with a Hunter 18 hull as another boat on this forum seems to have been done. :)

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I covered my 170 for a couple of years, but I heard stories about cracking, and many of the stories seem to be about thermal expansion of a covered boat. I have not covered it since. I lift the bow up enough that water can drain away, take all the canvas and hardware off of it and leave it out. It cleans up very quickly in the spring and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

Oct 8, 2009
I covered my 170 for a couple of years, but I heard stories about cracking, and many of the stories seem to be about thermal expansion of a covered boat. I have not covered it since. I lift the bow up enough that water can drain away, take all the canvas and hardware off of it and leave it out.
I would like to try that, but there's just too many trees where I store my boat. I would have pitch, dead leaves and other crap falling into the boat without the cover. We've already had at least 2 cold spells and will probably have a few more sub 32 degree days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until the end of March.

Sep 25, 2008
boat covers

There are two reputable sources for boat covers which is sailors tailor and masteheadsailingear. When ordering a cover, be specific for either storage with the mast up or the mast down. There is a big difference.

If making your own or using a polypropolyene tarp, never put it over the mast. Weight of the rain, ice, snow and so forth should ever fill up the cover with it sagging into the cockpit, it will bend the mast and then you will be looking at a replacement mast.

Always order in light covers to minimize the heat under the cover particuarly the ACP construction boats. The new 15 and 18 are solid fiberglass. I would suggest vents for any cover to minimize the heat.

One other thing gents. When storing on the trailer to help heat from building up inside the hull of any daysailor, leave the hull drain on the back of the boat open.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Bostonian - I'm in CT, so have lots of the same weather issues as you...

My solution off-season is a tarp - I too am under trees. Have had the 146 for 6 years - no problem so far.
I keep meaning to build a frame to help eliminate sag, but haven't gotten around to it.
I drape the tarp from a coated cable that is wrapped (carefully) around the two hemlocks that I park the boat between. That way, no problem with bending the mast under the weight. The front and back are not sealed, so I believe it gets plenty of ventilation. The hemlocks actually help, in that they filter the light just enough. If a huge branch falls, well - that's what insurance is for...

Only challenge is getting the tarp tight enough - and with this winter especially...! I just go out there after each snow that does manage to weight it down and brush it off. Only one year did I get the tansion just right on it that neither snow nor rain accumulated.

As to storing at the dock, I gave up on a cover. I bought one of those 'custom-made' from the dealer, that is basically like a hug showercap...I could NEVER get it on the boat jsut right! I sent it back.
I just leave it open, and brush out the leaves that fall in fro the trees bordering the lake. When I (rarely) trailer it, I just do so open.

Good luck!!

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX

I purchased a custom made cover for my Hunter 170 from them. It fits perfectly and it allows covering the boat while it's rigged. It has zippers to get the cover around the mast and the mainsheet while rigged. When I transport the boat, I use a different cover.

rgds,
Be a bit careful installing the snaps on the hull to secure the cover. The PO of my 170 had snaps mounted for and I had to repair cracks originating from most of the mounted snaps (plastic is pretty thin in the area snaps are required, no space to countersink).

Status
Not open for further replies.