Recommendations Needed-Bow Roller Mods

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hello fellow hunter owners.

I have an H26 and would like to add an anchor roller. If any of you have done this mod, could you share a pic and the part#/manufacturer of the roller you chose.

Thanks a million,
r

Jan 19, 2010
Doug J

That is perfect. I did not see the part number and where you got it from. Do you still have that info?

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
This is the setup on my Oday 25. The anchor is pinned to the deck when not used. This setup has survived 70 kt blows at anchor in the Bahamas. It allows for the rode to be cleated off without chaffing.
P4301450.JPG
P4301452.JPG
P4301452.JPG

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Here's a pic I shot of another anchor roller installation on a H26. I'm guessing that the offset of the roller allows the anchor to be stored.
IMG_1048.JPG

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Whoa! That first one is major! I thought about doing that second one. But I thought the smaller roller that doesn't require any new holes in the boat, and the fact the cost is so low, it was worth a try. It can always be removed and the u-bolt put back the way it was originally.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Here is my latest attempt at a bow roller for H26. A slight modification on Doug's. I offset the roller so that the anchor can stow along side the deck. I still need to come up with some protection and an attachment point for the rode. I also flipped the U-bolt so that it doesn't interfere with the anchor and still gives me an attachment point ( i rarely use the big Bruce anchor, except for longer trips. Normally I use the anchor in the locker.). I drilled the anchor so that the push pin fits through and secures it. Like Doug's, no extra holes drilled in the boat :) (yet)

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Fred

I like it. Thanks for posting. Are you only going to use it to haul and store? I guess I'm thinking that if you left the rode running through the roller at anchor, the non-liner shock loads will torque that off-set roller and damage your bow... also chafe your rode. But just using it to stow and retrieve seems like a great mod.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Ah! Interesting twist Fred! I like the idea of drilling a hole in the anchor so the pin can go through to hold it.
I had to use mine two weekends ago in an emergency. The winds were about 25 knots, held real well. Didn't seem to stress the roller or the bow at all. Much better than just letting the rode over the side. So far so good. One of my friends with a H26 also installed the same roller on his boat and likes it a lot.

Jan 19, 2010
@Doug J
Got out to the boat yesterday and brought her home. My roller furler attaches to the u-bolt. so I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make this mod.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
@Doug J
Got out to the boat yesterday and brought her home. My roller furler attaches to the u-bolt. so I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make this mod.
I moved my roller furler to the tang instead, which I think is a much better attachment point.

20180402_174538 (1).jpg

Is there any hardware, i.e., toggles, or some kind of extension below the drum that you could make changes to, making the head-stay about 5 inches shorter? Is there any room to adjust the turnbuckles shorter. What about at the top, any room for adjustment there?

Jan 19, 2010
I'll look and see. I don't think there is room at the top.