Recomended anchor chain and rode

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Aug., and Sept of Sail Mag. has an informative anchor-- rode articles. One of the points is that it is the violent side to side and or plunging up and down will induce the highest loads on the anchor and boat. These loads can also liquefy the holding ground around the anchor. Basically, most anchor rode systems done properly should work but each plus will come with a minus.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Not that this is totally relevant to the question... but I'm going on a 9 day trip and will be anchoring everyday and some days in sketchy wind possibly.
My "normal" setup is a fluke/Danforth-style 13 lb anchor which FITS inside the forward anchor locker with 30 feet of 5/16 chain and 300 feet of line. I also keep a Fortress FX-11 with 33 feet of 1/4" chain and 200 feet of line in the stern lazarette.
I don't anchor overnight often, but I have. Mostly anchoring to stop and fish.

For this trip, I swapped out the forward 13lb fluke for an 18lb fluke hanging on the bow rail and added a third setup with a 22lb delta, 5/16 chain and line as a second forward anchor if I need it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
By "fluke" you mean Danforth-style? What kind of bottoms do you expect to encounter?

Jun 2, 2014
@jviss - Yes, I mean Danforth-style. I don't think either of my two are actually branded Danforth, some other more generic brand. One is probably West Marine, and the other is something I can't remember.
As for bottoms, I am not sure, but looks like mud, sand, grass.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My knowledge is that Danforths are great in sand. For grass, you need something like a claw; your Delta should work well for that. I might use the Delta as my everyday anchor.

Jun 2, 2014
My only issue with the Delta is where to put it. I have no way to mount it to the bow when not in use. It does just barely fit inside the anchor locker, but then you have to feed it over and throutgh the furler and rails every time, or you could feed the chain permanently through and around the rails then attach/unattach the anchor every time you want to use it which I don't really want to do either.

Jun 2, 2014
There is a small roller but isn't able to hold the delta in a good place.

Attachments