Recently purchased FTZ crimper - horribly over crimping

Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
I recently purchased an FTZ Correct Crimper from this site - Mfg p/n 94284.

I also purchased the FTZ lugs in several sizes for my DC re-wire project, both flared starter and power lugs.

I calibrated the crimper according to the instructions in the box (and also referencing Maine Sails instructions) but the crimps for a #6 flared starter lug are horrible.

The lugs on this "Made in China" crimper do not appear as those I've seen online in photo's either, the best I can describe is that they have little cut outs.

I've tried adjusting to between 14-16" from center of handles.

Even at the lower end of approx 14.5" gap this thing is horribly over crimping and leaving sharp little flags to a #6 flared starter crimp. Comparing the size of the lug to the crimper, it's SO much smaller.

Really disappointed and I've only tried the #6 flared so far. These lugs are too expensive to play experiment on them.

I would appreciate any ideas please ?

Thx

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
Hi Dave,
Dang it's the one thing that I neglected to take a iphone photo of while on the boat yesterday :-(

Should be able to get out there this week and sacrifice another lug for a photo.

Thanks

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Check out this thread.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/ftz-crimp-settings-for-4-power-lug.189871/

Rob and I had trouble getting good crimps and I found a reliable site had changed the brand of lugs they sold but had not updated their website. There was a big difference between FTZ lugs and other brand they sold.

I ended up buying FTZ lugs from this site and Bay Marine Supply.

With the proper lugs and MS's instructions I ended up getting good crimps.

Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
Thanks Ward, I took a look - good information there. I actually purchased both the FTZ lugs and the crimper from this site, sailboatowners.com under the FTZ Electrical section.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Perhaps someone else with FTZ lugs might be able to take a pair of dial calipers & measure them for comparison to what you have???? That way, we could start by isolating to issue to originating from the lugs or originating from the crimp tool.

It might also be helpful if someone else could measure the clearance between the dies on their FTZ tool.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Those lugs don't look like the FTZ lugs in this flyer. Is there any writing on the opposite side? I'll also attach the spec sheet for the heavy duty power lugs with dimensions. If I remember I can take some measurements on my FTZ crimper this evening.

Attachments

Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
Thanks guys and that's good of you Marchem, the lugs that I have tried so far are listed as the FTZ flared starter lugs in a #6 purchased here from this site.
Hope to be able to drive out to the boat later in the week to take some measurements and try another crimp.
Thx

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks guys and that's good of you Marchem, the lugs that I have tried so far are listed as the FTZ flared starter lugs in a #6 purchased here from this site.
Hope to be able to drive out to the boat later in the week to take some measurements and try another crimp.
Thx
You might give SBO a call and be sure they are genuine FTZ lugs.

Feb 25, 2018
Sabre 30 Long Island
I took a photo of the lug label, does this look like an FTZ lug ?
The wall area of crimp thickness is 5/16

Thx

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
I took a photo of the lug label, does this look like an FTZ lug ?
The wall area of crimp thickness is 5/16

Thx
I’m not sure. They don’t look like any of the ones in the FTZ lug flyer. Have you asked SBO about them? I know Ward bought some lugs online and it turned out the vendor changed brands, causing problems for him.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
They look like the starter lugs I bought from Bay Marine Supply. They came in a bag marked FTZ starter lugs so I have no reason to believe they are not FTZ brand.
I only used one or two of the starter lugs but I don't remember having trouble with them. I did go through several power lugs before I got good looking crimps.

Have you tried going up a die size? For the #6 lug, try the K-K setting (for #4 lug) first, then finish with the M-K setting?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
As I recall, the starter lugs use s different crimp die arrangement than the 'regular' battery lugs.