Rebuilt Diesel Fuel Injectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Today the boat mechanic put in my rebuilt fuel injectors.(Had one that was bad, Number 1 cylinder, smoke, raw fuel exiting in exhaust, loss of power over 1900 revs.) Something that caused me to wonder and thought I would ask the panel of experts. This is a Yanmar 3GM30F, it has 207 hours on it. A bad injector was found and all of them were removed to be checked / rebuilt. As anyone knows with a Yanmar everything is painted with a gray-silver paint. The new injectors came back and were painted GOLD. ??? Would'nt just the the guts have been replaced in the original housing? The mechanic showed me the guts of the of the original injectors so it was just the inner housing and injector pin. Would'nt the original Yanmar housing have been used? The mechanic has a sterling reputation and with the amount of work he has I don't think he would have been concentrating on the injector housing color. I did ask about the color but he mentioned that is the color they paint them. Also if they were tested would not the injectors that were ok been wrapped up and the one that was defective been rebuilt? Or do you have to rebuild them all?

Any advice?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
shop probably did the right thing.. One bad.. was it debris or?? so the others might have been in line for a failure soon.. He probably soaked the housings in something that took the paint off as part of the rebuild process. Then repainted before installing the new/rebuilt guts to keep 'em from rusting and so that he'd know he'd rebuilt em.. 207 hours is kind of early to have to rebuild injectors..

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
If you've got them out and in front of you it's common to rebuild the entire set, also it's very unlikely that he tested all 4. Rather it was known one was bad so they rebuilt them all.

Also it's common to completely strip the part in a chemical bath, That would mean repainting them.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Yanmar Paint

I agree with a previous post that 240 hours doesn't seem like very much time. However, if there was water in the fuel maybe that could have damaged the tips. Ethanol???

If you don't care for the gold color, I've seen "Yanmar paint" in a spray can and you could repaint them. In fact, I have a can of it but I don't know what the brand is.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
OK here is my take on this ,I would be surprised if you mechanic rebuilt the injector rather then doing a remove and replace with a "shop" built rebuilt. Like all the other have said repaint is part of the rebuild process. (especially if being done in a factory setting rather then a on site rebuild) Anyway after you get the bill you will be able to tell everyone they were so expensive they were made of gold and any one who is skeptical just show them ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.