Rebuilding the top of the Rudder Tube

Apr 15, 2015
catalin 30 Milwaukee
I have removed my rudder, reglassed in the stuffing box that was loose and read the mylar or fiberglass resin methods of eliminating play in the rudder tube. However, in addition to excess horizontal play in the rudder, my rudder post has dropped about .25"
from wear on the top of the fiberglass rudder tube from the nylon bearing under the rudder post cap. Has anyone come up with a way to rebuild this worn area? Should resin alone be used or should the resin be mixed with chopped fiberglass or other material to prevent frictional wear?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You could place a spacer/large washer made of ultra high molecular weight (UHMW) polyethylene between the top of the rudder support tube and the part that would normally contact it. I just did something similar to my boat but instead of a spacer/large washer, I used an ultra high density polyethylene tube which is fastened to the rudder post and rests on top of the stuffing box at the top of the rudder support tube. The ultra high density polyethylene I used is impregnated with oil and has almost no friction and turns effortlessly. I'll try to post a photo later today.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
Robert - my post was worn in pretty much the same way. I have yet to do the mylar sleeve or inject epoxy to stop the side-to-side movement, but in order to take up the vertical play I used one spacer between the rudder and the hull, then another just under the rudder cap. These were cut from a thick (good quality) nylon kitchen cutting board. I used a hole saw to make spacers.
I has worked very well for 2 years. My only annoyance is that the entry point for the rudder tube up in the cockpit does allow for water to weep down which eventually makes its way into the bilge. (I've got a PSS, so covet a bone dry bilge.) I haven't come up with a nice solution to stop this water entry. It's a poor design from the beginning. Because of the way the lockers are designed, all the water that runs off from the seating area at the back of the cockpit is channeled directly to the rudder post area.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
My rudder post is 3" diameter. I purchased a solid 4" diameter UHMW polyethylene rod from www.mcmaster.com and had a local machine shop make the hole .010" larger than the rudder post.