Rebuilding a roller furler sail

Jun 22, 2016
Ta Chaio CT35 Sarasota, FL
My roller fueler was damaged in a storm. Only the luff was damaged and I want to replace the panels. I have a 42 foot ketch and the sail measure 16X32X33. What weight of canvas do I use. All comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Charlie, I'm not sure which part of the furler you are referring to? If the UV shield is damaged and needs replacing the standard is Sunbrella. Any competent local sailmaker or canvass shop can replace it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A picture would help to understand the type of damage.

Jun 22, 2016
I just need to know the proper weight of the material to order. I can do the repairs and have the right equipment. Only two panel were damaged and I can replace them.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Charlie,
It's not so simple. You could be talking about light air sails or heavy offshore sails; no way for us to know. As a guess I would say nothing less than 7 oz material for a standard sail.
You confuse also the question when you say "canvas". Sails are no longer made of canvas. The sacrificial cover is most often Sunbrella,which though an acrylic; is often still called canvas.
Order a half dozen different sail cloth samples of different weights and compare to your sail.

Dennis

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Charlie of Sarasota ,
Based on the side of FLorida you reside, the color of your eyes, and the fact that you have a CT35 sailboat, the recommended Canvas weight is ‘Cross-Cut 8.oz Dacron”.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Just to further complicate the matter, some sails are built with different dacron. Leech and foot of the sail have greater loads than the middle of the sail, so the cloth is sometimes heavier in those areas than in the body of the sail.

@Dennis Kitchen's suggestion to get a few samples of cloth, say 7, 8, 9 10 oz cloth and compare it to what you have. You may also contact the loft that made the sail to see if they have any records of the sail being built.

Jun 22, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry about the "canvas" just too many years of habit. I've ordered samples from Sailrite. Looking forward to getting it back on the boat.