Rebel 16, MK2 help

Oct 2, 2016
Ray Greene Rebel MK2 US
First please forgive my ignorance. I know nothing about boats or sailing except what i've been learning on the internet over the last month which is probably the top of the iceberg. It was an anniversary gift to my wife who knows how to sail but nothing else about boats or rigging. I'm in over my head and am trying to dig out.

I rescued a rebel 16 mk2 and trailer for the hefty sum of $1. The boat itself was covered mostly in a trap outside and the gel coating is heavily crazed. It doesn't look like any of it is structural damage though. The peripheral equipment was garage and basement kept and aside from some minor mouse damage in pretty good shape.

I have a lot of questions about this boat and wondering if anybody has one of these on this forum?

I am curious about how the centerboard works as it doesn't appear to have a pivot.

Most of the rigging is here but I'm curious about how to hook it up and if I'm missing any thing.

The other main question I have is regarding weak spots. I assume this boat like everything else has points of failure. I don't know where they are to inspect the boat properly and am hoping somebody can share.

I live near Aurora, il and if somebody lives near by and has the time to school me on this boat I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Eric

Nov 30, 2009
Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch Muskegon, Michigan
I have a free Rebel acquired last year. The hull is a bulletproof tank. Any local sail school or club will have a do-gooder willing to help.
Make sure the cables, attachments etc on the mast are good. No fish hooks on the cables.

The CB does have a pivot in the bottom of the trunk. Mine has a 6 or 8 part tackle under the foredeck. It works well. I get in the boat on a mooring and set the CB just above the bottom. Finish rigging, hop in and sail for deep water, let the board full down. Yo may need to reach over the transom to force the rudder down.

your sails are probably ancient and blown out like old ladies bloomers. A new set of class sails will increase the free factor by about $1600.

there are class rules and organizations. They can help. Go to an event. They are usually thrilled with new blood.

My free boat started out dirty, mold covered and packed with acorns. Soap and a brush, shoveling nuts went a long way. It took two of us about twenty minutes to fully rig it on its trailer.

Attachments

Nov 30, 2009
Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch Muskegon, Michigan
So, just received new class sails from Quantum. Unlike the blown out oldies, this new main is loose footed. I haven’t found any reference to this in the class rules and all photos I find seem to have a foot rope.

I have an old Rebel so the boom is a bit of a spindle.

I'm certainly OK with the loose foot but I think the sheet should be modified to force loads to the aft end or risk breaking the boom. If this is a class sanctioned change I would expect to find illustrations or discussion..

As it stands, I plan to ad a three part at the boom end, a clew strap or tiny track. I will lead the main to the mast end, down to the deck and aft to a cam block.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A loose foot should not impact our Class standing.
Are you planning to race the boat against other Rebel's? if not no worries.

How you run the boom rigging is also not a controlled element that would affect your "rating" You want to make the rigging efficient. Running your mainsheet rigging through a block at the end of the boom is the right idea.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Adding a big new over sized jib. Altering the design of the boat. Those things will get you a sideways look from the judges.