Rear main leak 3Ym30

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Well got everything back together with the tranny back in and now the
Alignment of the shaft to tranny,so any tips and any help best way to adjusting the motor mounts.
Never done this before and did try adjusting yesterday and nota easy thing to do,I did leave the muffler hose off to make it easy to get at the couple.
Any help much appreciated.
Nick

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Kind of a trial and error endeavor at first.. it can take as many as 8 complete adjustments of the 4 mounts.. center the shaft in the log and block it in place ...then start working the engine mounts to get side-to-side first.. that is the one where ya move the mounts themselves on the mounting bed.. Then get close vertically by adjusting all 4 mounts together.. same number of nut turns/flats.. then work tipping the engine adjusting front and back mounts in opposite directions, again, same number of turns. Lots of patience and time.. good luck with it, Nick..
Some folks use their own techniques, but I have had success doing what I've written.. Use a paper and pencil to record the movements to get a better idea of what makes what go where..

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Will try your techniques and will be going to day early and give it a try,I did try moving
side to side and seams be off one side of space on coupling and should only need side to side and up and down I think should not have changed I hope.
Thanks
Nick

Sep 30, 2007
hunter 356 little river
Nick
Is your boat in the water while you do this job and was replacing the seal part an easy fix.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes boat in water and I have dripless so was careful and needed to move engine forward as forward as will go until it hits the bottom pan and did want to slide back so tied rope to mast support pole to keep motor from sliding back.
Needed to remove a lot of stuff exhaust and tranny and fuel cables and fuel lines.
remove bottom lag bolts in motor mounts and raw water pump hoses and water heater hoses.
Than remove bolts holding bell housing and tranny will slide back and out and tan clutch plate and fly wheel and removed
seal with proper small screw driver and put new seal in and tapped in with PVC pipe same size as seal from hardware store.
fly wheel very heavy and had to remove wood panels and leaned over engine from front engine to put flywheel back in and everything back together.
I realigned the engine with feeler gauge in between the 2 couples and fan engine but did not test drive it and see if any bad vibrations.
Going to NY for Xmas and will test drive when I return, I worked on cars and truck back in the good old days and so was pretty easy.
Nick