Really Really Bad Hunter Smile :(

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Claude, Yest this is the same gap except this picture was taken from the port side, the other is from the starboard. Thank you Nick for staying in touch! George is going to take a diamond blade and cut back along the smile crack. After cleaning and inspecting he will then "calk it" with 5200. Forward, he will continue with the 5200. Though he will not be "filling it" with the 5200. He will then fiberglass the forward foot or so, after sealing the gap, as Allan pointed out. He says he's seen a lot worse and that this will solve the problem. Tomorrow, we are going to check the Keel bolts with Bill at the yard.

The good news is that there are only a few blisters and they are no larger than an pencil eraser. George showed me a 1990 Catalina that had at least 15 blisters between 6" to 18" in diameter. They were still weeping a day after they were punctured. George is peeling off the Gel Coat and going to the Fiberglass on that one.

I'll post an update after Bill takes a look at the Keel Bolts. They are nice and shiny in the cabin.

Again thank you to everyone, with all their help as well as Nick and Steve taking time to go out and check up on the boat. Thanks Guys! Beers are on me. That is unless you prefer a single malt... Those are on me too.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Baltimore/Fells Point MD
Smile!

Just wanted to share my little smile from my Oct 2012 yard period. I cleaned up the keel, used Rustlok Steel Primer to fight the rust issue, filled the smile, glassed it over, painted it up, and called it a day. I just had a short haul two weeks ago, and my lips are sealed - no cracking at all, and about 80% of my rust problem solved. Next yard period I'll Rust lock some more to keep that issue under control. Good luck with your smile!

Attachments

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Dave, thanks for sharing! Glad to see someone else had the same smile and has the issue under control! How else are you considering doing to "rust lock?"

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Baltimore/Fells Point MD
Jon, I'll do pretty much the same clean-up and rough-up sanding I did the last time and recoat it per the instructions. The largest area I observed the other week with that orange fluff you get was about mid-keel closer to the hull. I may just not have coated that area very well, so I'll try to be more liberal in putting it on. Again, it was so much better than before I had treated it, that I was still quite impressed with the result. Good luck!

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Here's what happened. We/George took a diamond edge dremel like tool and opened up the crack as it went back about 18 inches. The area was cleaned out and inspected. Everything looked great. The Pettit Paint Rep was dropping off some paint and looked at the boat. Turns out they just came out with a new product FlexPoxy (see pic). This is made to fill large voids that need to retain flexability. It also does not generate heat. The Pettit Rep provided a tube of this to George and he filled the entire void with it. George swears he's going to use the FlexPoxy a lot. According to the Rep this should last the life of the keel. (fingers crossed) We'll see what happens in 2 years or so when we pull it out again. We/Bill tighten the Keel bolts, they didn't budge but maybe a 1/16 of an inch.

While the boat was out I also replace the 2 analog transducers and replace them with Raymarine's which are now networked. The Admiral is upset since she won't be able to see the depth gauge anymore.

Anyway, hopefully we'll be finished with all the exterior work soon and be able to splash her quickly.

Thanks everyone for all great advice! I'll be starting the next project in a week or two... Gotta keep busy!

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Great

WOW that looks great and nice new flex epoxy looks nice,we will keep our fingers crossed too and check back in 2 years.
What bottom paint did you decide to go with.
I will be going north for 2 months and use our RV and maybe
meet up when we return in Sept.
Nick

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I would consider replacing the keel. There is probably an H34 somewhere that is in salvage that would sell you their unit. Since the keel is iron, I don't see any easy way to fix it.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thank you all for your suggestions.. the boat has been sailing nicely... keel still attached! :)

Nick. I ended up using Trinidad Pro. I also really liked Painter George and will definitely use him again. Hope you are having a good trip and we'll see you when you return.