really getting discouraged looking for my Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
I been looking at 26's since this summer. I finally have the funds together to act on it if I find one. there was a boat in Dallas, I'm all ready to jump in the truck and drive there. (right after the blizzard is over!) Emailed the guy and it's already sold. (ad wasn't very old either)
Looking at Jaxed/Mash, CL, Texas Sailing, Sailboat Listings.com.
All the boats I can find are between 750 and 1200 miles away!
Does anyone know of a better way to shop? I'm trying to keep the selling price under about 7500. and it would be nice if it was closer to Houston.
jim

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
..........All the boats I can find are between 750 and 1200 miles away!....jim
Since it is a one time purchase maybe go that far for the right boat. If you find one that far away maybe someone on here or the other two boards could take a quick look and let you know if it was worth the drive to take a closer look.

We lucked out and found ours 400+ miles away in Phoenix. If that would of fell through the next one we would of looked at was in Texas over 1200 miles away and a couple in the LA area 700+ miles away. We would of made the drive.

Last Fall we hauled the boat 2200+ miles to sail it in Florida and that trip isn't finished yet. Find a boat and go see it :),

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sep 26, 2010
Yea,
If it comes down to it I will have to make the drive.
It's frustrating though because I spent a lot of time shopping when I didn't actually have the funds. I found a few boats that I would have bought if I could. I even tried to get the sellers to do a partial finance. No luck. I don't blame them though, they don't know me.
So now I can actually do it and all the boats are a long way off.
It's ok though, I'm going to Havasu in a couple weeks, so it wouldn't make sense to buy right now anyhow. although there was an ad for a 26D in Dallas that looked real nice. I would have hopped right on it.
Oh well, I'll just be patient. there will be more sooner or later.
Jim

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
I remember driving 1,008 miles to Las Vegas to look at Memory Maker, a 1988 26D that became Soire'e. It wasn't a leap of faith because I had pictures and descriptions of every system on the boat, plus the history of the dings and fixes. In this age of data transfer, pictures can tell a lot about a vessel before you even think about the drive.

It'll work out, but keep in mind Sum's suggestion to get a member of this august group to go take a peek if there is something particular you see in a picture that needs further first-hand eyeballing. Buying is some work, some fun, but mostly persistence on the buyer's part (sellers only disclose the difficult answers when they are asked).

thx
JDK

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Jim,
There are a couple of neglected 26X's and one 26s in the same yard where you looked at my boat. You might look around the yard and if you see a neglected 26 that appeals to you, then go to the Boater's Resale Shop. The guy who owns it, Paul Yirga, might be able to put you in touch with the owner.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Does anyone know of a better way to shop?
I have bought and sold 5 sailboats in the past 8 years. And I have learned a lot about the market.

Bottom line, Your timing is 180 degrees off. You want to buy in September, October &/or November and you want to sell in late February, March, April or May.

If you watch Craig's list or eBay etc. in the Fall, there is a flood of boats on the market. Everyone who had intentions of sailing just one more time (and didn't) finally put their boat on the market. But all the desk jockeys who dream of one more sail (when they get the time) will hang onto their dream when the Spring weather starts.

Good luck,

Sep 26, 2010
Robspan,
I had not really considered looking in the various yards in the area lately. I looked in the summer and only saw stuff that was way out of range. I don't want an X but I'll take another trip out there and see if there's an S or D.
JDK,
I saw that boat in an ad and inquired. The guy sent me a lot of pics and I came close, but at the time I was needing partial financing, and the boat had some fiberglass issues so I passed. I might re visit that one.
Yea I agree the best months for buying are probably over for this year, but I'm not giving up. I really want a sloop. For the time being I'll make do with the Hobie.
Jim

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Doehunter, don't be discouraged. I had to drive from NC to Staten Island, NY to get my 26S 3 years ago, and that included a bunch of toll roads, which I hate. It was worth it in the end. Hang in there. -Paul

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
Maybe you aren't finding MacGregor water ballast boats close to Houston because they are not well suited for the typical conditions in nearby states. I owned a 26D for two years (on an inland lake) and didn't like the way it handled in winds over 10 mph. I sailed on Clear Lake and Galveston Bay years ago and would not pick a MacGregor for that location.

Sep 26, 2010
I've heard comments from both sides of that fence, and since I haven't sailed one yet, I still need to find out for myself. Tender, net tender, tender to 15 deg heel, etc.
What would you choose for Galveston area, if you wanted a boat to over night in, and are going to trailer all the time. Using normal public boat ramps.
??????????????

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Doehunter, I traveled 2500 miles to PA to pick up the boat I wanted. I bought it off Ebay and gave the guy a small down payment to hold it. I also couldn't find that boat in my area. It is a Cat 27 shoal draft on a trailer. There are alot of shoal drafts back east but not many here on the left coast. Fortunately for you there are more Mac 26's around than most other boats and they are easy to trailer. If you do search on Ebay you have the options of saving that search with an email notification of when one comes up. The Craigslist mash sites are also helpful although not all ads show up there. I also use Google to search for items starting with Craigslist, ie: "Craiglist Macgregor 26 sailboat Houston". Boat Angels is another site that can be helpful. As mentioned looking for neglected boats at the Marina can be lucrative. I found a Mac 25 a couple of years ago in beautiful condition with the owners name on a lein notice. A quick Zabasearch got me his address and telephone number. A friend bought it for $2200.
The deals are out there but you must be patient and ready to pounce on it.
Good luck,

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Hi Doehunter,
I think the process you are going through is pretty typical for most boat buyers.:confused: I spent 18 months looking and had my mind firmly fixed on a list of 4 boat designs. My 26S turned up out of the blue - it had not been on my list and I knew very little about them, but the minute I took a look I thought 'this is the boat I am looking for' - that was last August and I get happier every day with the purchase.

Talk to people that manage the trailer boat storage facilities as they often have a good idea of a boat that 'might be' coming up for sale. If you see a boat in storage that you like, just go and talk to the owner and ask questions - they may know of a boat coming up for sale or even start thinking about selling their own boat.:)

JMonda

Aug 1, 2009
2 26S Alaqua Bayou
Hi Doehunter,
I was wondering why you don't want an X-model. I have a 26-S and I really like it. But a friend of mine is moving and wants to part with his X-model. So I've been toying with selling mine and buying his. But maybe I'm making the wrong call on this. I'm pretty sure the S-model sails better but the X-model has more head room and (of course) the bigger motor (which may be expensive to repair).

What do the S-model fans think of the X-model?

Jerry

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey DoeHunter

CaGuy is right about looking for abandoned boats at marinas. My marina has 5 abandoned boats on trailers. The marina owner is always saying he is going to auction them off someday but he never gets around to it. He told me there is a way to get the title. In VA you contact the department of game and inland fisheries, show proof the boat is abandoned etc. It is a process and I'm guessing a PITA which is why he never gets around to it.

Anyway, I know for a fact that I could have one of those boats for $800 if I went there with cash in hand and was willing to file all of the paperwork to make it legal.

You might want to skulk around some of the low rent marinas and see if you get lucky. Then you would have $6,700 left over to buy paint, new lights, bimi, new outboard etc. You would have a tricked out boat when you are done.

Fiberglass is easy to clean and paint. It is the accessories that make it a nice boat.

Good luck & fair winds,

Sep 26, 2010
thanks again for all the input.
Jerry,
Let me know if you really decide to make the switch.
I have wondered about how much more headroom is in the X. Not sure how to find out.
All of my online research says, the D sails the best out of the 26 S,D,X,M models.
I believe the motor sailers are heavier on the trailer too. At this time, my tow vehicle is a 6 cylinder, '93 model Explorer. So I Am trying ti get the lightest boat I can get and still have enough room for me and the admiral. + guests from time to time.
If I had boats to chose from, I think I would rather pay a little more, and get one that already has all the goodies than one that I gotta spend all summer fixing up.
Although eventually I'll run out of patience, and get what I can and work with it.
I've even been considering a smaller boat. I've seen a couple ads for a Hunter 23.5 that looked nice. It actually has a wider beam. 8'4" I think. Not sure about headroom there though.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
One orther place to look is regular storage places away from the water and around appatrment complexes and condos where people don't have a place to park things.

Often times the boat will just have a for sale sign on it and a number to call.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
..........All of my online research says, the D sails the best out of the 26 S,D,X,M models.
I believe the motor sailers are heavier on the trailer too. At this time, my tow vehicle is a 6 cylinder, '93 model Explorer. So I Am trying ti get the lightest boat I can get and still have enough room for me and the admiral. + guests from time to time..............
I think the difference between the S and D is very little. Now there is no comparison between the S/D and the X as far as head room when the pop-top is down. The S/D is 4' 11" if I remember right and the X is 5' 10". The rest of the interior is also no contest, the X wins and the M has another 2 inches on the X and that headroom is there all the time with the X and M, no pop-top.

I haven't seen an X owner yet that will say his boat will out sail an S or D, unless maybe I'm in the S. The S is going to be more responsive and sail better on almost all points but the X clearly wins when you start the motor.

We had another couple once with us for 3 days. They decided to sleep in the cockpit vs. the aft bunk. We will never do that again unless they would be die hard sailors. If you day sailed with another couple on an S or D that is one thing, but to overnight they had better be good friends and know what they are getting into. That does happen though, I guess.

You are right the X is going to weigh quite a bit more on the trailer.

I have one PHRF chart and they show the S being about 7 seconds slower on the average than the D and the Hunter being 30 seconds slower than the D in a mile. That source might not be real accurate, so you might want to do some research yourself.

Looks like the Hunter also has a pop-top so with it down it is probably somewhat like the S and D.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Jim,

The only problem, and it's not a big one, I would have with the D as opposed to the S is that the former has the pivoting centerboard. There is a lot of shallow water in Galveston Bay, and not all of it is charted, especially on either side of the ship channel. So it's nice to have a board that will pivot up when you hit bottom.

On the other hand, the bottom around here is mostly mud, so unless you're going pretty fast when you hit, it's unlikely you'll do any damage. If I were looking for a boat to sail in this area, its overall condition would be a lot more important to me than whether it's an S or a D.

BTW, I was at the boat yesterday and the S I mentioned in an earlier post isn't there any more. :cry:

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks,
email sent.
Robspan,
Thanks for the update on the boatyard. I know I have been concentrating on the D model, but as you said, I really would consider either one. I haven't sailed big boats around the bay, but I've been all over it in my Hobie. I guess it draws about 3 ft with the daggers down. It hits when I'm between Texas city dike, and the Galveston causeway, and when I go way up in East bay sometimes.
I'm guessing the Mac will need 5 1/2-6 ft of water with the board down, so I would want to be watching closer, and get used to sailing the deeper areas.
Sumner,
I had no Idea there was that much difference in the cabins between the X,M and the S,D models. Hmmmm?
I think the admiral would go for the headroom! I would go for performance, so I'm just gonna keep that one to myself!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.