Re packing stuffing box, 84 303

Nov 23, 2016
Pearson 303 Channel Islands,Ca
Due to excessive dripping, I was looking into re packing my stuffing box. Would like to use the dripless GFO packing material and was not sure if this is compatible with the bronze driveshaft. Any advice?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Lots of opinions. The dripless GFO has followers. Read all the info on the product. Some products are less kind to the shaft. The dripping is the way the system cools the shaft. I go old school and monitor the tightness of the stuffing box to minimize water.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great article Stu. Also the link to the images from MaineSail should be in the "101 Stuffing Box" curriculum. Great stuff.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Due to excessive dripping, I was looking into re packing my stuffing box. Would like to use the dripless GFO packing material and was not sure if this is compatible with the bronze driveshaft. Any advice?
NO graphite packing/or products in contact with bronze shafting. Ever!

I do not have pictures of graphite/bronze damage - but I think Maine Sail might.

Charles

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I would have to agree with Charles here in that without knowing the composition of the bronze shaft, you are opening yourself up to a world of galvanic corrosion. As stated in the ABYC P6.7.4 ........................

ABYC P6.7.4.JPG

This is intended to cover the most corrosion prone materials. Once you get into the hi-chrome SS's such as Aquamet, graphite is not a worry. I would recommend teflon impregnated flax and remove any worry about galvanic corrosion.

Last edited: