RESTORATION of '86 C22 "MOON DANCE"

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
Well I'd like to be able to put in a full days work on the boat, but this damn rain won't let me. Anyways I got a little more wrk done today and yesterday. I was able to fill the gap under the lip with thickened resin and today I made some reinforcing tabs to put under the stanchions where the old glass that was there was gone.
IMG_1706[1].JPG
IMG_1707[1].JPG
IMG_1703[1].JPG
IMG_1704[1].JPG
IMG_1705[1].JPG

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I used an oscillating multi tool. It makes for a thinner cut with less dust.
:yeah:

I can highly recommend the oscillating tool and a sharp round fine tooth hardened steel cutting disc. Go for "B-o-s-c-h" cutting tools as you will not get the quality from the cheaper alternatives.

It's still very noisy but there is way less dust compared to an angle grinder and you have way more control over the actual cutting.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
From my experience with my boat:
Foredeck area: I can agree with the de-lamination on the foredeck being more of a wood bonding issue than actual fibreglass failure however I do have a foredeck hatch and that did allow water to get in to the wood around the hatch opening... wood was rotted.

Side deck areas: Do not discount water leaking from the windows down into the side decks. That is what killed the wood in my boat in those areas. I went to great lengths to fill the gap around the openings between the outer skin of the deck/coach roof and the inner lining. There are also the wooden parts on the coach roof and the other fittings that could allow water to migrate down to the side decks laminates.

I did my deck recore with the boat upside down because I was to scared to cut away the deck - so big up's to you for even starting the job!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Thats some quick work going on there. How does the "coosa" board conform to compound curves?

I had to cut grooves in the plywood because it was too stiff to bend into the curves. Also ended up having to cut into sections for same reason and also space to get pieces inside the boat!

Aug 31, 2017
Thats some quick work going on there. How does the "coosa" board conform to compound curves?

I had to cut grooves in the plywood because it was too stiff to bend into the curves. Also ended up having to cut into sections for same reason and also space to get pieces inside the boat!
The coosa bends EXTREMELY easy especially when it's only 1/4" thick. The only thing I don't like about working with it is the amount of fiberglass I get in my hands from it.

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Fantastic Job . That is a big job. thanks for the tip with the oscillating tool . I have used a cutting wheel on a grinder for years with a die grinder. My next investment thank you...

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Fantastic Job . That is a big job. thanks for the tip with the oscillating tool . I have used a cutting wheel on a grinder for years with a die grinder. My next investment thank you...
Yep - I can highly recommend this type of tool... problem is now you start thinking about all those little jobs requiring surgical precision that you would never had touched using an angle grinder!

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 22 6939 Lake Waccamaw, NC
I am really curious how this project ended up turning out. I have a large soft spot on the left side of my hatch that needs to be fixed. I haven't noticed any delamination anywhere else. I want to get rid of all of the spidering in my gel coat on the top deck and repaint it this winter while also repairing my soft spot. Also, there seems to be a lot of stress spidering around the stay mounts. Thinking about filling those with epoxy and redrilling them out.

If I am going to go through the trouble of all of this, should I cut out the entire top deck like this and redo it all or just spot fix?

Aug 31, 2017
I am really curious how this project ended up turning out. I have a large soft spot on the left side of my hatch that needs to be fixed. I haven't noticed any delamination anywhere else. I want to get rid of all of the spidering in my gel coat on the top deck and repaint it this winter while also repairing my soft spot. Also, there seems to be a lot of stress spidering around the stay mounts. Thinking about filling those with epoxy and redrilling them out.

If I am going to go through the trouble of all of this, should I cut out the entire top deck like this and redo it all or just spot fix?
I haven’t been able to finish my project yet due to the never ending rain here in Tampa. The issue with my foredeck was a combination of water intrusion around the lifeline stanchions and dry delamination in front of the cabin top. I’m not sure if you have the newer model like me or the first model. It’s really hard to tell you what should be done to yours without seeing it myself. If you have anyway to borrow a moisture meter I’d do that to find out if it’s water intrusion or just delamination. If not the next best thing would be is to use a small drill bit and drill a hole and check that way. As for spider cracks I would check out Boatworks Today on YouTube. He has lots of great info on his channel. Best of luck and full sails!

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
The key to a quality cored part is the bonding of the core to the skins. As in all composite parts you have to get the air out. One method is to draw a square grid pattern (about 2 inch squares and drill a 3/16 hole in the center of each square. Not only will the holes act as "bleeders" they form compression posts that also aid in the bonding of the components. The slight weight gain is insignificant in most cases. If your core material is stiff , cutting slices about 2/3rds deep into that grid pattern will help your core to lay down. Last but not least is to vacuum bag it.

Aug 31, 2017
Sorry for the long hiatus folks! Had a kid and well you know how that goes. Anyways stay tuned. Going to be placing a big order with Totalboat in a couple days.