Raymarine ST60 Wind Speed Indicator Sluggish

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 33 Gig Harbor
I own a 2005 Hunter 33 with ST60 instruments. A few months ago, the wind speed indicator stopped working in light wind. If the wind get up to 10 knots or more, it starts working, but reads low. The direction indicator works fine. I have the older style windvane transducer commonly referred to the ST50 transducer. My guess is that the bearing in the lower anemometer pod is faulty and needs to be cleaned or replaced. I have seen documentation that Raymarine used to sell a replacement pod under part number Q002, but I have not been able to find this part anywhere. I have not yet called Raymarine.
I have seen the maintenance kits for sale, but they all seem to be for the newer model transducer. I'd hate to have to buy a new transducer at more than $300 if the existing one can be fixed. I also don't want to climb the mast more times than necessary.
Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
If you buy new, you go up once. Else minimum twice. My ST60 MastHead wind transducer is also faulty. Caused by lightning. The wind direction is bad, wind speed seems good. Bought a new piece, intend to wire up directly to the display at pedestal to calibrate before going up to install. Much easier this way.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Mine had fishing line wrapped in side the bearing from birds I am guessing and went up and took it apart last year and been working fine ever since.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Spider webs can also cause this. Any web spun near the thing will end up getting wound around the spindle. And you can't see it until you loosen the set screw and pop the cups off.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Spider webs are common in the fall at KY Lake and I have had the same problem. Eventually after a few rains and some winds, it fixes itself.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 33 Gig Harbor
Spider webs can also cause this. Any web spun near the thing will end up getting wound around the spindle. And you can't see it until you loosen the set screw and pop the cups off.
This could very well be the problem, so I guess I need to go up and look. Probably two trips up the mast - one to bring the unit down and inspect/clean, and a second to reinstall if the problem appears to be fixed.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 33 Gig Harbor
If you buy new, you go up once. Else minimum twice. My ST60 MastHead wind transducer is also faulty. Caused by lightning. The wind direction is bad, wind speed seems good. Bought a new piece, intend to wire up directly to the display at pedestal to calibrate before going up to install. Much easier this way.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not planning to buy new until I confirm that the existing unit can't be fixed.. In any event, it looks like two trips up the mast minimum.

Oct 29, 2005
Any idea what type of transducer used for wind direction and wind speed? Are they potentiometers? Can they be repaired or service like cleaning the carbon track or something?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Probably bearings. I am rebuilding my ST50 and a friend's ST60 this winter. His ST60 is the old style and uses the same bearings as the ST50. I have the part number for the bearings and a USA distributor. Bearings are about $10 each. I plan to replace both even though only one may be bad. My ST50 has been in service for about 18 years.

Oct 29, 2005
my wind indicator spins just fine only that it doesn't read right on the meter. Always showing between 140 port-starboard. Must be bad sensor.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Any idea what type of transducer used for wind direction and wind speed? Are they potentiometers? Can they be repaired or service like cleaning the carbon track or something?
I'm pretty sure that are both Hall Effect sensors.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Any idea what type of transducer used for wind direction and wind speed?
According to the Raymarine Tech who was installing my new Radar, the wind speed is magnetic counter. A spinning wheel with a sealed magnet.
Jim...

Oct 29, 2005
Wind speed seems to be still working. Validated against the trim and reef I've to make over the last few days of sailing. It actually surprised me the wind direction sensor is bad but not the speed given they're same or similar type in close proximity.

Oct 29, 2005
I've opened up ST60 Wind Vane. Wind direction uses hall effect whereas wind speed uses optic counter where two flap passes thru as the cup spins. Need to get replacement pcb A28164.