Raymarine ST60 plus package

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
I purchased my ODay 302 two months ago and the boat came with a raymarine ST 60 plus value electronic package still in the box. Current electronics on the boat don’t work except depth. Would it be better to try to sell this electronic package and put something in newet since technology seems to have improved. Anyone have good luck with the ST60. Don’t need anything to extravagant since I only sail on the Great Lakes.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Kind of a loaded question. What does the package consist of, and what can you sell it for, vs what do you think you need and what does that cost? If you don't need anything "extravagant", then why essentially give away a complete package of what you're considering to be older technology, that's already bought and paid for. Depth is depth, speed is speed. Those basic functions haven't changed in years.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Fair challenge but not too helpful. The package I have seen from 1500 to 700 online. Has wind, depth, speed. Wind is my concern. Is it worth spending a few extra dollars for wireless or ultrasonic. Since I am going through the effort I like to make sure it is going to be reliable and something I will not have problems with. Is the raymarine ST60 reliable.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I purchased my ODay 302 two months ago and the boat came with a raymarine ST 60 plus value electronic package still in the box. Current electronics on the boat don’t work except depth. Would it be better to try to sell this electronic package and put something in newet since technology seems to have improved. Anyone have good luck with the ST60. Don’t need anything to extravagant since I only sail on the Great Lakes.
I don't think people can help you unless they have some sense of what you need/want. Need is obviously relative to what you do. Wind speed is interesting but is it really necessary for you? Speed through the water can be useful but I think there are very many non racing boaters out there that are happy with just speed over the bottom from their GPS. Maybe you're fine with just the depth sounder the boat currently has.

Aug 1, 2011
ST is no more or less reliable than i series. Some would say that the build of the i series is less robust. I’d agree, having owned both.
If your going to feed an autopilot and want wind to drive it, then that changes the question from the original one. The EV autopilot is a different animal from the comparable ST compatible units.

Aug 1, 2011
Wireless and stuff like that do not define the system. Functionality, accuracy, control and versatility do.
I let the ap steer the boat to the wind input. It steers better than I can, but it has quirks that are annoying.
Speed and depth won’t give you the input to drive a MFD to do routing.
A wind display by itself is really no better than a piece of yarn tied to the stays, so again, you need to define what you want before any input from the forum can be valuable.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Voyager, the ST60+ stuff is excellent, there's no compelling reason to push for newer technology unless you're dying to get to NMEA 2000.
The Raymarine analogue wind vane is excellent, reliable.
I recommend installing them and enjoying them!

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Thanks jviss, I just punched the boat and foud out from my dock mates the previous owner used the boat as a bench for the past 6 years. He purchased the package awhile ago and when I looked up the ST60 plus it said it was discounted. Was not sure if it was worth the effort to install since right now everything is a big effort for me. Anyway appreciate the comment.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks jviss, I just punched the boat and foud out from my dock mates the previous owner used the boat as a bench for the past 6 years. He purchased the package awhile ago and when I looked up the ST60 plus it said it was discounted. Was not sure if it was worth the effort to install since right now everything is a big effort for me. Anyway appreciate the comment.
You are welcome. I'm experienced with sailing instruments since 1980, when I got a job installing and repairing them, which at the time were the likes of Datamarine and Kenyon; and on my own boats Signet Marine, then Raymarine i50/i60, then back to ST60+ on my latest boat, which are integrated into an NMEA 2000 network with Simrad autopilot, B&G chart plotter, and more, via some combination of converters and bridges I haven't figured out yet! But, it all works. The ST60+ stuff is pretty good stuff.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The ST60 gear is decent kit. While it is old-school Seatalk-1 networking, that can easily be fixed with a very cost effective (99 bucks) Raymarine Seatalk-1 to Seatalk-ng converter kit. This bi-bidirectionally translates seatalk-1 and seatalk-ng sentences between the two networks, allowing you to share the instrument data with other devices. Seatalk-ng is basically NMEA2000, so you can create a mixed manufacture setup using someone elses plotter and AP if you want.

The only real downside it the single-purpose, inflexable nature of the displays. Once you get used to (say) the B&T Triton2 graphical displays, its hard to go back.

RAYE22158-2.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Once you get used to (say) the B&T Triton2 graphical displays, its hard to go back.
The new boat has ST60+ W/S/D, a B&G Zeus2 plotter, a couple of Simrad AP heads, and a B&G Triton 1 (T41) display. I confess the Triton display is cool, but there's just something better about the analog needle in the Raymarine wind display. I just upgraded the previous boat to i50/i60, and that i60 wind display is the best.

By the way, I have one of those converter kits for sale, along with a ton of STNG connectors and cables.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Jviss, can I use my link 5000 with the ST 60 plus package along with my auto helm ST3000

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
with the ST 60 plus package along with my auto helm ST3000
Here's your answer;
The ST3000 control unit is SeaTalk compatible. It can receive and transmit information to other instruments and autopilot control units via the SeaTalk bus.

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
I’m running ST60 everything on my 302. Wind, depth(using the original transducer), autopilot. No complaints. I’ve even got everything networked to Wi-Fi so
I get the data on various mobile apps.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Keep it and use it, unless you just want to spend money on the latest gizmos that don’t give you anymore info than the ST6O.
(If you don’t want it, sell it to me. I’d love to have some new “old stock” ST60. Will offer a fair price if you PM me.)