Raymarine ST4000+ control head replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
My ST4000+ control head has called it quits - the display is shot and the autopilot goes wherever it feels like. I think the cals are all off but the screen is so screwed up I can't see the menu. Wondering if I can replace the ST4000 head with the new 6000 head and if anyone has done this. The main thing I can see is the fluxgate compass compatability. I left a message on the Raymarine website - so far no answer - and checked the archives but didn't see anything pertaining to this problem. I have the MKII wheelpilot ready to install so this shouldn't be an issue. Any advice/experience welcomed.

R

Rick9619

ST4000+

Ken, the MKII wheel pilot is compatible with the ST4000+ control head. You can buy the MKII control head online. Check ebay for the MKII, or even find another 4000+ control head. Probably save money, and you wont have any integration issues like you will with the 6000 control head. But if you got a smokin deal on the 6000 give it a try. Dont think it will work. I had to go through this a year ago. Luck... Cheers

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
St 6000

I had the MKII in my 290 and was a up grade of the ST4000 The 6000 I have in my new 36 at the helm everything looks like the MKII but below the deck is a course computer and rudder position indicator and fluxgate. That the 6000 head also show's the rudder position,so don' don't know if you can use it the 6000 head or not but you can get a used MKII I am sure. Nick

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Raymarine reply

Got the answer from Raymarine concerning the 6002 control head. Seems the old 4000+ was also the course computer. The new 6002 is just a display unit. You have to buy the S1 course computer along with it. This is getting more involved than I bargained for - I want to spend the summer sailing - not replacing hard to install expensive electronics.... I'm going to do a search on Ebay per your suggestion for an MKII control head.

Nov 10, 2004
Hunter Vision-32, Vision 32 Punta Gorda Isles, Fl
your "old"

ST4000+ can be "rebuilt" by Raymarine for $200, see their FAQ for repair costs on different equipment. I doubt you'll find a good one on ebay for less than that. Mine gave up the ghost, and I DID buy one off of ebay for $200. It was a never used replacement.

M

Margaritaville

I had mine rebuilt

West marine will send it in and about a month later you get it back.My head was labeled Autohelm and came back raymarine. It is my opinion that when they get yours they just send back a brand new unit off the shelf. It works great!

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Hey, thanks Margaritaville

I was wondering how long it would take to have repaired. Wish now I had done it this winter but I thought I could get by one more season. Was hoping for a quick repair turnaround but a month is pretty long considering our short sailing season here...BTW, that Norcold built in reefer you recommended works great! I turn it on when I get to the boat on Friday and the next morning the beer and everything else is nice and cold. Solar panel puts out just about enough to keep it powered up. May add a little insulation to the top to see if I can get a couple more degrees colder.

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Thanks for the responses, I found one!

Just bid on an new ST4000+ head on ebay. Ask is $50. Had to search for it several ways, finally came up as ST4000+ Autopilot. Tried Raymarine ST4000, Autohelm ST4000, ST4000, and a couple other searches before Autopilot worked. Go figure. What the heck did all us owners of older boats do before Ebay?

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
S1 Rudder Position Transducer for H31

Well, I lost the bid ($300) on the ST4000+ control head. Somebody wanted it even worse than I did. I've decided to bite the bullet and install the S1 course computer and control head. Wondering if anyone has installed the rudder position transducer for the course computer. I've got a couple ideas but if someone has been through this would sure like to hear how you mounted it.

Nov 10, 2004
Hunter Vision-32, Vision 32 Punta Gorda Isles, Fl
yes,

I just installed the rudder position sensor in our 1991 Hunter Vision 32. every boat is different. It can be installed several ways, even upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.