Raymarine RF Base Unit for SmartController Remote

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
I am having problems with my Raymarine Smartcontroller remote. Raymarine wants me to send in the RF Base Unit for repair. The only problem is, I do not know where to find it. I know what it looks like. I do not want to take the whole boat apart to try to find it.

Does anyone know where the RF base unit is on a Hunter 49 (2008).

Thanks!
raymarine-base-station.jpg

Attachments

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
The RF base is located in front of your feet when seated at the Nav station. Just remove 4 screws from the approximate 8" x 10" panel. I have attached a picture showing panel opened.
On my boat from the Hunter factory the controller only gave information, would not steer boat. Contacted Raymarine, moved connecting wires. Now controller steers boat, but only limited information on screen. If you have any information to fix my issue, please let me know.

Attachments

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
This is my second boat with the SmartController. On the first boat, it would steer, but was very slow to ever have information. On my current boat, it will steer at times, but always loses connection, and never has information. I will let you know what happens after the Raymarine repair. (and of course, the SmartController batteries are shot).

Jun 15, 2012
Don't buy new batteries from Raymarine. Just changed mine with 2 AA cells available on internet, recommend Panasonic. If you send me old batteries, I will do it for you or can give simple instructions.

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
I love that idea. I would love some instructions. Does it just use to standard AA rechargeable batteries?

Jun 15, 2012
Recommend either battery below available at Amazon:

Pack of 2 Sanyo AA NiMH 2700mAh Rechargeable Batteries #HR-3U-2BP-2700
or
Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA eneloop pro AA High Capacity Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack

Replacement instruction are already on line also check out :
. It's in Italian, but you will get the idea!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Don't know if you tried this, but perhaps you should try and "reconnect" the remote to the base.
Mine lost synchronization, and I needed to do that. Very simple
Just get into the service menu, and there is an option for it.
I would do a full reset first, and then the synchronization

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
So I replaced the batteries myself. It works. This is testing the limits of my memory of high school science, but, with the rechargable AA batteries wired in series, it creates a 3 volt charge. Doesn't the remote need like 4.6 volts? Is that a problem?

As to the sync, mine does get data, but it is either very slow, or you have to be very close to the base. Do you think a re-sync could still help?

Jun 15, 2012
I have re-synced many times. Mine steers boat perfectly. Only info on Smart Controller Screen is wind direction and windspeed. Will look into fixing after I get done with about 100 jobs waiting on boat.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I know why this is.
It's a little complicated
Your ST60 wind displays connect to the masthead unit, and have a ST1 output.
This ST1 connection is somehow feeding the smart controller, which runs only from ST1
I suspect your speed & depth units are st70, which were wired through STng.
You are missing the link between STng & the ST1

This is my best guess

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
It sounds like my issue may be different from Semperavanti41. I do get sync on my smartcontroller if I am standing in the nav station. In the cockpit, it is very slow to provide information and often says "No pilot" when the auto pilot is steering. If I ignore that message and sent a command, it connects and controls the boat.

I suspect all Hunter 49's have that problem and it is a limitation on the range of the RF unit based on where it is installed, but I would love to hear about other people's experience.

Jun 15, 2012
Romagic, why not move the base station? Easy move might be area near anti-freeze overflow bottles?

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
I have not looked at it yet. Do you know what cable it uses? Can the signal withstand a longer run?

Jun 15, 2012
Romagic, just remembered something that may be great for you. On my boat there is a unconnected Seatalk cable inside under the starboard steering wheel. If this exists on your boat, you may be able to unplug it and plug in the RF base. There may be a Seatalk connection block inside under the port steering wheel.

If not I think you could just splice the wire from the RF base to make it longer, but if anyone knows for sure please add your thoughts.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ok,
Yes, I know for sure
There is no "Rf" cable.
The base station simply plugs into the ST1 bus in the instrument chain.
So, anywhere will do.
I don't think there is a range issue.
But, if you want a neat place to relocate the base station, you could put it into the spray hood area. There is already ST1 in there from the wind gauge.
A bit unrelated...
If you have a 49 then you have the metal framed chart table seat.
To get access to the autopilot, or any stuff under the chart table, you have to remove the chair, or you will squeeze yourself to death trying to get in there.
I have had this seat out many times, for access to the breaker panels, etc.
The seat was screwed to the floor with #12 wood screws.
What I did was install 5-16 /18 threaded inserts into the floor.
Now, I just have machine screws & washers, and the seat comes out in < 5 minutes.
If you try to remove & re-install the original wood screws more than 3 times, you will destroy the holes in the floor
I used Allen head machine screws. It's super-easy to get an Allen key in to remove or re-install the bolts

Attachments