Registered users don't see ads

Raymarine RF Base Unit for SmartController Remote

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by Romagic, Jul 11, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Romagic

Romagic

Joined Jul 19, 2010
    31 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Marina Del Rey
    I am having problems with my Raymarine Smartcontroller remote. Raymarine wants me to send in the RF Base Unit for repair. The only problem is, I do not know where to find it. I know what it looks like. I do not want to take the whole boat apart to try to find it.

Does anyone know where the RF base unit is on a Hunter 49 (2008).

Thanks! raymarine-base-station.jpg

Attached Files:

2. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    2,748 posts, 751 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    As a clue, mine is located at the Helm near the AutoPilot.
    Jim...

3. SEMPERAVANTI41

SEMPERAVANTI41

Joined Jun 15, 2012
    390 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter 50 AC
    US Greenport, NY
    The RF base is located in front of your feet when seated at the Nav station. Just remove 4 screws from the approximate 8" x 10" panel. I have attached a picture showing panel opened.
    On my boat from the Hunter factory the controller only gave information, would not steer boat. Contacted Raymarine, moved connecting wires. Now controller steers boat, but only limited information on screen. If you have any information to fix my issue, please let me know.

Attached Files:

4. Romagic

Romagic

Joined Jul 19, 2010
    31 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Marina Del Rey
    This is my second boat with the SmartController. On the first boat, it would steer, but was very slow to ever have information. On my current boat, it will steer at times, but always loses connection, and never has information. I will let you know what happens after the Raymarine repair. (and of course, the SmartController batteries are shot).

5. SEMPERAVANTI41

SEMPERAVANTI41

Joined Jun 15, 2012
    390 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter 50 AC
    US Greenport, NY
    Don't buy new batteries from Raymarine. Just changed mine with 2 AA cells available on internet, recommend Panasonic. If you send me old batteries, I will do it for you or can give simple instructions.

6. Romagic

Romagic

Joined Jul 19, 2010
    31 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Marina Del Rey
    I love that idea. I would love some instructions. Does it just use to standard AA rechargeable batteries?

7. SEMPERAVANTI41

SEMPERAVANTI41

Joined Jun 15, 2012
    390 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter 50 AC
    US Greenport, NY
    Recommend either battery below available at Amazon:

Pack of 2 Sanyo AA NiMH 2700mAh Rechargeable Batteries #HR-3U-2BP-2700
    or
    Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA eneloop pro AA High Capacity Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack

Replacement instruction are already on line also check out : . It's in Italian, but you will get the idea!

8. artboas

artboas

Joined Jun 1, 2009
    1,085 posts, 57 likes
    Hunter 49
    ca toronto
    Don't know if you tried this, but perhaps you should try and "reconnect" the remote to the base.
    Mine lost synchronization, and I needed to do that. Very simple
    Just get into the service menu, and there is an option for it.
    I would do a full reset first, and then the synchronization

9. Romagic

Romagic

Joined Jul 19, 2010
    31 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Marina Del Rey
    So I replaced the batteries myself. It works. This is testing the limits of my memory of high school science, but, with the rechargable AA batteries wired in series, it creates a 3 volt charge. Doesn't the remote need like 4.6 volts? Is that a problem?

As to the sync, mine does get data, but it is either very slow, or you have to be very close to the base. Do you think a re-sync could still help?

10. SEMPERAVANTI41

SEMPERAVANTI41

Joined Jun 15, 2012
    390 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter 50 AC
    US Greenport, NY
    I have re-synced many times. Mine steers boat perfectly. Only info on Smart Controller Screen is wind direction and windspeed. Will look into fixing after I get done with about 100 jobs waiting on boat.

11. artboas

artboas

Joined Jun 1, 2009
    1,085 posts, 57 likes
    Hunter 49
    ca toronto
    I know why this is.
    It's a little complicated
    Your ST60 wind displays connect to the masthead unit, and have a ST1 output.
    This ST1 connection is somehow feeding the smart controller, which runs only from ST1
    I suspect your speed & depth units are st70, which were wired through STng.
    You are missing the link between STng & the ST1

This is my best guess

12. Romagic

Romagic

Joined Jul 19, 2010
    31 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Marina Del Rey
    It sounds like my issue may be different from Semperavanti41. I do get sync on my smartcontroller if I am standing in the nav station. In the cockpit, it is very slow to provide information and often says "No pilot" when the auto pilot is steering. If I ignore that message and sent a command, it connects and controls the boat.

I suspect all Hunter 49's have that problem and it is a limitation on the range of the RF unit based on where it is installed, but I would love to hear about other people's experience.

13. SEMPERAVANTI41

SEMPERAVANTI41

Joined Jun 15, 2012
    390 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter 50 AC
    US Greenport, NY
    Romagic, why not move the base station? Easy move might be area near anti-freeze overflow bottles?

14. Romagic

Romagic

Joined Jul 19, 2010
    31 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Marina Del Rey
    I have not looked at it yet. Do you know what cable it uses? Can the signal withstand a longer run?