Raymarine EV100 installation on Hunter 37.5

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Smokey,
There is no obvious way to install a type 1 linear or rotary drive on my boat. The original ST4000 wheel drive wasn't working when I bought the boat Summer 2015, so the dealer gave me the EV-100 kit and installed just the new drive. It has been working with the old Autohelm control head, but now that has become unreliable, so I'm installing the rest of the EV-100 kit.

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sarah Creek, Gloucester, VA
Cable question: Did you need to purchase additional, longer spur cables? The 1m spurs included with the basic Evo 100 package are totally insufficient for my installation (wheel pilot) ... and I suspect just about everyone else who's using a wheel pilot. The supplied cables and wiring layout seem to be primarily intended for below-decks hydraulic systems. For reference, see the attached diagram. I'm thinking of installing the connector panel (5), the compass (2), and the ACU (8) in my Beneteau 323's starboard sail locker. In order to install the control head (3) at the binnacle, I will need a lengthy spur to run through the conduit and pedestal. If I were using a below-decks rudder actuator, it would be simple to connect the ACU (8) to the actuator. But because I'm using a wheel drive, I will need to run a power cable all the way back through the pedestal in order to supply power to the wheel drive motor. And this arrangement nullifies the utility of the STng backbone, which will have to be left twirled up in the sail locker. If I want to upgrade my other instruments later, I'll have to run a backbone extension up through the pedestal, in addition to the two cables already required for the autopilot. ARGGH!

screenshot_01.jpg

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Sorry to add to your frustration Bryan, but let me know if you find an easy way to fish the cables with their big connectors up the rails to the helm station. If there were some way of cutting them off oand re connecting them it would be easier.

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
My 2006 Beneteau 323 has what looks like a 2" conduit (O.D.) leading up to the pedestal, with a 90 degree turn. It's already full of wiring. I imagine getting the STng cable up there will be either extremely challenging or downright impossible...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
easy way to fish the cables with their big connectors up the rails to the helm station
Ok. NJ, drill you hole in the rail/vertical for the guard. Fish the wire down not up. The connection to the ACU is a loose wire connection. Tape the ends and you need holes that are the size of the wire.

Brian9. Locate the Sensor. Run the long seatalk cable to the ACU. Or connect the ACU with the short cable and run the long cable to your 70P controller. The motor cable is long and this allows you a fair bit of freedom with the ACU location. I placed the 5 connector near the ACU. The power cord also is fairly long.
AP Works very well. Only issue not addressed. The motor screws up the compass on the binnacle when the AP is running.

Sep 23, 2009
Ok. NJ, drill you hole in the rail/vertical for the guard. Fish the wire down not up. The connection to the ACU is a loose wire connection. Tape the ends and you need holes that are the size of the wire.

Brian9. Locate the Sensor. Run the long seatalk cable to the ACU. Or connect the ACU with the short cable and run the long cable to your 70P controller. The motor cable is long and this allows you a fair bit of freedom with the ACU location. I placed the 5 connector near the ACU. The power cord also is fairly long.
AP Works very well. Only issue not addressed. The motor screws up the compass on the binnacle when the AP is running.
As I remember it the cable to the control head at the binnacle has connectors at both ends.

Sep 23, 2009
Edit...
We seem to have two threads running in parallel, my apologies.
As hmt2 has illustrated, the cables can be cut and re spliced. The Raymarine tech I had talked to said no but I believe that was incorrect.
Being able to fish the cables through an already crowded binnacle rail without the large connectors should make things a lot easier.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ray cables have a smaller head than "real N2K. I was able to fish a blue 2m up the guard into the Navpod. I put a coupler under the deck (the bb from the ACU was long enough to reach Navpod) so if I needed to rebed the binnacle I wouldn't have to pull that wire. Unless you have no room using the bb cable rather than a spur allows you to expand later i.e. Chart plotter, I70, or I have a N2K fusion remote for the stereo.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
Larry you are correct the SEATALK for the controller does have connection at both ends. I believe it is a 1/2 inch hole. Some folk prefer to run the wire on the outside of the guard. Also reason you find the controller on the cockpit wall rather than the NavPod.

Bryan9

Apr 28, 2015
Those following this thread, and thinking about installing an EVO 100 system, would do well do study this extremely helpful post carefully! Thanks, Les.

... I was able to fish a blue 2m up the guard into the Navpod. I put a coupler under the deck (the bb from the ACU was long enough to reach Navpod) so if I needed to rebed the binnacle I wouldn't have to pull that wire. Unless you have no room using the bb cable rather than a spur allows you to expand later i.e. Chart plotter, I70, or I have a N2K fusion remote for the stereo.

Les

Sep 23, 2009
John do you know if I can connect the auto helm display on one side of the binnacle with the i60 display with a white cable directly to each other or do I have to feed all the way back to the blue back bone cable?
Rant time.....you'd think for all the money #%&*# Ray makes they would put out better manuals, and why not youtubes and dvds helping with installing. Ok, rant over.... till I'm hanging upside-down in a locker.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Larry, There are 2 plugs on the 70P As I understand you can daisychain several monitors together. I also understand the 70P display has several display formats based on what input or combination you want to see. I am planning a Depth display connection using the existing transponder and the Raymarine ITC-5 translator.
I just saw this set up for the controller. A small stainless extension off the vertical pipe. Might make the Seatalk Wiring easier...
IMG_0188.JPG

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
John do you know if I can connect the auto helm display on one side of the binnacle with the i60 display with a white cable directly to each other or do I have to feed all the way back to the blue back bone cable?
Rant time.....you'd think for all the money #%&*# Ray makes they would put out better manuals, and why not youtubes and dvds helping with installing. Ok, rant over.... till I'm hanging upside-down in a locker.
For the P70 yes for the P70s no. The s models got rid of the daisy chain to make them more N2K compatible.
Les

Oct 22, 2014
Just read in the P70 manual:

MDS enables you to choose a preferred source for the following data types:
• Speed • Depth • Windspeed • Windangle • Heading• GPSPosition • GPSDatum
Les is a guru for this stuff.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Just want to be clear here. The Raymarine instrument needs a Raymarine plug going into it. It is after that you can cut the cable and put a NMEA connector or a NG to NMEA 2000 converter and then enter a Seatalk NG into a NMEA 2000 network.

Oct 22, 2014
HMR2. Here is the info from the SEATALK manual available on Raymarine website.

DeviceNet female adaptor cable
Connects SeaTalkng products to NMEA2000
Part number: A06045

Used to connect Seatalkng to NMEA2000. This attached to the backbone thru a Seatalk T connection. I found the Seatalk manual easy to understand

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
HMR2. Here is the info from the SEATALK manual available on Raymarine website.

DeviceNet female adaptor cable
Connects SeaTalkng products to NMEA2000
Part number: A06045

Used to connect Seatalkng to NMEA2000. This attached to the backbone thru a Seatalk T connection. I found the Seatalk manual easy to understand
Jssalem,

Thanks for the information, but I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt. My Raymarine auto pilot and the rest of my NMEA 2000 network are working like a champ.

Oct 22, 2014
Can see your a card carrying member of the NEMA2000 outfitters union. Me I'm just a reader and doer, uncertified sipper of beer and listener of good stories. :biggrin:
Carrying on.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Can see your a card carrying member of the NEMA2000 outfitters union. Me I'm just a reader and doer, uncertified sipper of beer and listener of good stories. :biggrin:
Carrying on.
Sir, I am merely certifiable. While I carry many cards, none say I am certified in anything. I too am but a sipper of beer (and good whiskey) and a listener (and occasional teller) of good stories. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, there should be more of us in the world! Cheers!