Raymarine E-120

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
I have a circa 2007 raymarine E-120 MFD chartplotter. I just updated to firmware from v 3 to v 5.6. The current map CF card is the Navionics Gold charts. I want to upgrade the charts to cover the US east coast and Bahamas. Looking to see if anyone has done this using the current card instead of buying an entirely new CF card. I'm not impressed with Navionics, their website is a bit difficult to navigate to what I want. Has anyone used a different manufacturer for the chart card? Where is the best place to purchase the pre loaded cards?

Thanks
Ron

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
You'll have to check with Raymarine to see in any other cards are compatible. I think you'll find the answer is NO. I went through similar with my Lowrance HDS 5M - choices are Lowrance or Navionics. I wish there were another choice as I don't like Navionics (but love their charts). Software I purchased was a micro SD card in a carrier - I managed to crack the micro card while trying to remove the carrier from the plotter. Would Navionics do anything for me? Answer - NO. Had to buy the software again! I'm still P.O.d.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I have a circa 2007 raymarine E-120 MFD chartplotter. I just updated to firmware from v 3 to v 5.6. The current map CF card is the Navionics Gold charts. I want to upgrade the charts to cover the US east coast and Bahamas. Looking to see if anyone has done this using the current card instead of buying an entirely new CF card. I'm not impressed with Navionics, their website is a bit difficult to navigate to what I want. Has anyone used a different manufacturer for the chart card? Where is the best place to purchase the pre loaded cards?

Thanks
Ron
Given that Raymarine Classic E120 software latest update was in July 2012 (v5.69), these moderator comments on the Raymarine forum are still valid:
" Unfortunately, the E-Series Classic MFD (E80, E120) hardware and software is exclusively designed for use with Navionics cartography which has been stored on CompactFlash memory cards. Please additionally note that the Raymarine Cartography Adapter (microSD to CF) is not compatible with E-Series Classic MFDs."
So it seems you must use Navionics Compact Flash chart cards and you cannot use the adapter that would allow you to use microSD cards.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
you can get an "update" card for Raymarine that has the new navionics charts with online daily updates for $99 or so for a year of updates. It's called marine and lake charts. you load the installer on your pc to manage the downloads;it will ask you to insert your current card to prove you have a chart cartridge and then activate the new one.
Navionics.com/compatibility has the plotter info- it says the update is compatible IF the MSD to CF adapter is compatible with your plotter - I'd check with raymarine for your specific model/serial number compatibility - their stuff can be that specific

Nov 19, 2009
Al, I'm very sure, only the CF card will work, the SD cards will not.
Hello Below, Was pretty sure Navionics was my only choice, that pretty much cemented that thought, thanks
Chuck, I will check into that. I'm also talking to a techie at midshore electronics who will be at the spring boat show about obtaining a navionics CF card with the desired maps on it.
I was able to update to v5.69 using a store bought CF card and the update went smooth, maps may prove to be a different story.
I'll post what I end up doing

Liz

Feb 11, 2017
I'm with Al....hate Navionics as a company, love their charts. The company is completely impenetrable. Terrible website. Marketing material that provides few, or confusing, details and info. Weird pricing schemes and product packaging. I'm on their email list and they boast about educational webinars........but they're all geared to fishing. That said, I like their graphics, legibility and apparent quality.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I'm also talking to a techie at midshore electronics who will be at the spring boat show about obtaining a navionics CF card with the desired maps on it.
RW, I find the Raymarine forum very responsive. Moderator, Chuck Anderson, has been around for many years so give him a chance to help out. You don't have to be a member, ask as a guest. Let us know your results.

http://forum.raymarine.com/

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
+1 on Chuck being helpful. I don't understand why you want to buy the charts on a CG card. I use the navionics chart downloader and can put the chart on my choice of media ( usually micro SD).

Les

Nov 19, 2009
+1 on Chuck being helpful. I don't understand why you want to buy the charts on a CG card. I use the navionics chart downloader and can put the chart on my choice of media ( usually micro SD).

Les
The E120 only takes CF cards, and from a previous post, I think the E120 can only use Navionics

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I just bought the update Navionics card. I emailed them and received a very quick response and was very helpful in getting the right card. Previous card I had was 6 yrs. old and wanted an update but the Raymarine RC435 cannot handle the full card. The update card came with a CF adapter for USB. Update was flawless without any issues.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The E120 only takes CF cards, and from a previous post, I think the E120 can only use Navionics
so use the Navionics map downloader and download maps to any CF card you own - as I said it the map downloader doesn't care what removable media it puts the info on. You will need a windows or mac computer and a CF card reader (usually available under $20). Purchasing pre-loaded cards will almost always be older info than you get on line and much more expensive.

Nov 19, 2009
UPDATE: OK so what I ended up doing was first I updated the firmware to the latest, which is v5.69. That was pretty easy actually, and was done using my iMAC at home and a blank 512mb CF card. Then after consulting several marine electronic techs, I bought a new Navionics US & Canada Marine & Lakes CF card for $179, and although I had my own CF card reader, it came with one. I could not just use the old Navionics GOLD card and put new maps on it, because the thing was so out of date, the downloader program wouldn't even find it. So Navionics tech said that when I receive the card, I can go in a delete all the maps that are on the card that I don't need, which were about all of them, then using the downloader program pick the areas where I needed maps, the entire east coast and west coast of Florida and northern Bahamas. I also downloaded sonar data for the same areas and hopefully the E-120 can display that also. So now I have a new card with the freshest data, an updated E-120 with the latest firmware, and I plug it in tomorrow to see if it all works. Fingers crossed.
Helpful instructions from Navionics below

How to register and update your chip
http://navionics.force.com/kb/artic...-Your-Chip/?q=register&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Purge Coverage Areas with Navionics+ or Navionics Updates
http://navionics.force.com/kb/artic...onics-Updates/?q=purge&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Creating Small Overlapping Coverage Areas on Navionics+
http://navionics.force.com/kb/artic...nics/?q=create+smaller&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Feb 11, 2017
Just in case you might go ahead and begin thinking about a complete upgrade and get a new CP, Navionics data for the Bahamas is poor. Navionics will not buy Explorer data, and Explorer charts are the Gold Standard for the Bahamas. As far as I know, Garmin and C-Map are the only data sources that include Explorer data.

I have been on boats with Navionics data and it is poor to almost dangerous in many areas in the far southern parts of the Bahamas. It's made more of a problem as there are no navaids in those areas.

Nov 19, 2009
Good to know Steve, I have my backup iPad with either vector or raster charts (can't remember which it uses) in the app iSailor for everywhere and it's a pretty sweet program plus I have the Abaco cruuising guide with waypoint names, lat/Lon, depths, that I used last time I was there. I'll have to go to differerant charts than Navionics I'm guessing when I get deeper into the Caribbean

Feb 11, 2017
I make the Navionics comment based on the Bahamas. When you go to the Bahamas, you should make sure you have the Exporer Charts on board as they are fantastic in every respect. I like my CP to match up with them when I'm there. It's unnerving to know you are in Galliot Cut and your CP shows you going over top of Little Farmers Cay. It's the same in the Abacos, but they have some navaids up there.