Raymarine autopilot for h410

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Hi Everyone
Does anyone have any specifics on the original autopilot option for a 2001 Hunter 410?
I am in need of the drive components along with the gear and chain specifics. Plus the compatible Raymarine current production autopilot that will work.
I already have the new A95 MFD with two I70 instruments on the Raymarine backbone that were purchased over the winter. They are installed and work great.
Thank you for any info you may have. Pictures of the original setup would be fantastic also.
email to send :
devee1@live.com
or
jdevee1@gmail.com
thank you
jim

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a new "other" Raymarine core pack for sale. It's a P70s head (the newer one), EV sensor core, ACU-200 control unit, and rudder position sensor. I bought it this year, partially installed it, and then abandoned the project as I bought a new boat. I have some, but not all, of the original packaging, and all the hardware, cables, etc. I only installed the ACU, never even powered it up. PM me if interested.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Raymarine Type II drive motor. I don't remember the sprocket teeth, etc. I think Edson helped with that. I am all Raymarine with new and old instruments. Will help anyway I can.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Installed in 2015 on 1998 410

RAY T70161 EV-400 AUTOPILOT SYS C/O: P70R CONT HD, EV-1 SENSOR, ACU-400

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
Raymarine 6002+ on my 2002 410 including chain drive motor and rudder sensor. Single handed precision push button sailing using it's auto tack feature.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
I have done this.....if you go to the raymarine site you will find the sprocket size and the pitch....you will need the type 11 drive....I purchased my gears and chain from mcmaster carr....I installed the EV autopiliot and it has worked great....if you do a search for my name (john gomes) on the raymarine technical site...you will get your info.....if not just sign up and the techs will help you

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Good Morning,
Thank you for the responses but I am afraid I am still not moving forward on the information needed. I did call Raymarine technical support but they were not helpful at all on what is needed for the gear and chain specifics. Disappointed with the lack of knowledge on that side. I sent emails to marlow hunter and Edson for more info so awaiting on that. I also sent and email to this site for assistance. As soon as I receive info on the specifics for the gear and chain setup I will post it. This is neat project I would like to share.
Thank you
jim

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
That looks like a sweet spot to install the motor and gear, and easy to get to!

I've said this on other threads like this, and folks don't really seem interested, but I can't help myself.

One of the enormous values of a below-decks autopilot is that it is a backup steering system. This attribute only exists if the autopilot actuator is driving the rudder post directly, and does not depend on the regular steering system. On sailboats, they are typically linear actuators, or "linear drives," and are connected to the rudder post via a strong, bronze tiller arm. This is an expensive option, though, since the tiller arm can can be ass much as $800, and there's a machining charge to bore it for your rudder post diameter, and a keyway, if needed. In addition, the linear drive will be $1,500 to $2,000, and finally, if the boat builder did not provide it, you will have to have a very secure mounting location fabricated, solidly glassed to the hull. This work could be in the $1,000 neighborhood. By the way, I've done all of this, by mercifully the tiller arm I needed was about $400, I got a used linear drive for around $350, and yes, I paid about $1,000 for fiberglass work for the mounting pedestal.

At the end of the day, if any component of your steering system fails; the wheel sprocket, chain, wires, sheaves, or even the aluminum "radial drive" part from Edson that is so prevalent, which have been known to break, you will have a completely redundant, backup steering system through the autopilot. In addition, autopilot steering is not putting any large load on the stock steering system; and there is much less slack, or play, in the motor to rudder path, making AP steering potentially more precise, smooth, and lower power consumption, though that's admittedly a minor consideration.

Unfortunately, the subject rotary drive, gear, and chain setup here does not provide this backup, it's subject to all of the potential failures of the steering system that the wheel itself is.

I'm not throwing stones or criticizing the subject approach, as a well maintained steering system is unlikely to fail in the first place. Inspect, adjust, and lubricate (correctly!) annually, replace parts per schedule, and check for corrosion, cracks, etc., and you should be fine. But, a below decks AP that provides redundant steering is something to consider.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would get in touch with sailgunner and sounds like he can help with this project.
Nick

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Sailgunner
Sounds like you may hold the answers.
I learned type 2 rotary drive prefered along with ev400 core. Perhaps a rudder sensor will improve performance but still researching. The big question remains on the big gear that mounts on the helm key shaft. I measure 0.61 od inches for the inner dimension needed for the gear plus the key. The number of teeth and size of the sprocket still remains elusive. I missed a call from edson today so i will call back tomorrow to see if they can help too.
I downloaded the rotary drive manual and it provides good info on the gear on the drive itself. Its determined by hardover side to side. There is a chart to follow. So getting closer on info. Next finding the gear needed. Edson may sell it?
Thanks
Jim

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
This is actually very straight forward stuff.
The procedure starts with determining the hard over to hard over number of turns your steering has. So, just turn the wheel all the way over in one direction (doesn't matter)
Put a piece of tape at 12:00 on your wheel rim.
Now, spin the wheel the other way, and count the number of turns.
Go to the chart in the manual, and pick the gear for the motor. Definitely buy this from raymarine, because it will have the correct keyway. DO NOT try to buy this elsewhere, cause it fits a woodruff key, which is hard to match up. When you buy the sprocket from raymarine, purchase 2 spare keys. You cannot get stainless woodruff keys anywhere in the universe, and I guarantee you will drop one down in the mounting area when you either install or service this.
Next thing, and please take my word on this.
You do not want to use a key for the gear that goes on the wheel shaft.
What you want is something called a trantorque keyless bushing mfg by Fenner.
This makes install & alignment a breeze. You will want a stainless version.
This allows you to slip the sprocket on the shaft, and by using 2 small wrenches, the whole thing tightens up effortlessly. No pissy little Allen screws that get full of rust, etc. You will need to take this gear on & off a few times during install. It is 1000% easier using the TT bushing.
For the bushing you need your shaft size, and ID of gear sprocket.
You must buy a stainless sprocket & chain. It's expensive, but you cannot scrimp on this.
Lastly, review my earlier posts in this. Chain tension is critical, and I've documented this

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Sailgunner
Sounds like you may hold the answers.
I learned type 2 rotary drive prefered along with ev400 core. Perhaps a rudder sensor will improve performance but still researching. The big question remains on the big gear that mounts on the helm key shaft. I measure 0.61 od inches for the inner dimension needed for the gear plus the key. The number of teeth and size of the sprocket still remains elusive. I missed a call from edson today so i will call back tomorrow to see if they can help too.
I downloaded the rotary drive manual and it provides good info on the gear on the drive itself. Its determined by hardover side to side. There is a chart to follow. So getting closer on info. Next finding the gear needed. Edson may sell it?
Thanks
Jim
I save receipts but installed mine 6 plus years ago and do not have the gear receipts. I could measure gear diameters but do not have gear pitch.

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
I save receipts but installed mine 6 plus years ago and do not have the gear receipts. I could measure gear diameters but do not have gear pitch.
The chain I read on the rotary drive manual is 3/8 pitch. I can only assume if we are talking the same thing is the gear pitch must match 3/8. Please if you have the time and availability could you please take a pic. measure the gear at different points so I can get a better idea on what to order or talk to a sales person on what dimensions I need.
thank you
jim

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
The chain I read on the rotary drive mual is 3/8 pitch. I can only assume if we are talking the same thing is the gear pitch must match 3/8. Please if you have the time and availability could you please take a pic. measure the gear at different points so I can get a better idea on what to order or talk to a sales person on what dimensions I need.
thank you
jim
Sent you a private message. Send me you email and will email pics., Dennis

Jim D

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter 410 Maryland
Or try McMaster-Carr
I spoke with Edson and the gentleman was very nice. Provided great info. Unfortunately they do not sell any of the parts I needed. As mentioned before on this thread McMaster Carr sells gears. I looked them up and they do have what is needed for the type 1 rotary drive. 13 tooth for the drive and 38 tooth for the steering. Now I am wondering if I can get away with the type 1 drive for a hunter 410. My boat list a displacement of 20,200 lbs. That is within the high limits of the type 1 drive of 22,000 lbs. for my boat. The questions is that too close for this drive? If I move to the type 2 my original decision than the gears are an issue again. I can't find a 57 tooth gear. These numbers are direct from the Raymarine install manual. See pic. Can I substitute the 57 tooth gear for a 58 or 56? I don't have enough knowledge or understanding to determine if so. Plus the steering gear must fit into this area on the pedestal. see pic.

Thank you
Jim

Attachments

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I spoke with Edson and the gentleman was very nice. Provided great info. Unfortunately they do not sell any of the parts I needed. As mentioned before on this thread McMaster Carr sells gears. I looked them up and they do have what is needed for the type 1 rotary drive. 13 tooth for the drive and 38 tooth for the steering. Now I am wondering if I can get away with the type 1 drive for a hunter 410. My boat list a displacement of 20,200 lbs. That is within the high limits of the type 1 drive of 22,000 lbs. for my boat. The questions is that too close for this drive? If I move to the type 2 my original decision than the gears are an issue again. I can't find a 57 tooth gear. These numbers are direct from the Raymarine install manual. See pic. Can I substitute the 57 tooth gear for a 58 or 56? I don't have enough knowledge or understanding to determine if so. Plus the steering gear must fit into this area on the pedestal. see pic.

Thank you
Jim
Absolutely NO on Type I drive. These units get a lot of hard work in waves. Do not skimp on the drive unit.