ray marine auto pilot location

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
H41 ds , 2008

Can someone tell me how to gain access to the auto pilot drive/control unit so I can inspect it, and what to look for once located? I can't imagine piloting this boat without the Rayman helping. There is great p factor on rudder under power.

Thanks

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Should be near the rudder in the lazarette of your boat. There should be a tiller arm coming off the rudder post that the drive unit is attached to. It is likely that there is also a rudder angle sensor in the same vicinity.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
The control unit will probably be located in an out-of-the-way spot. Examine the manuals for the model for its appearance or go online to RayMarine for their information. Look for corrosion at the contacts, good connections, and damage to the wires. Good luck with whatever you're doing.

Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
I'm pretty sure it is the same as my H41 AC. It is accessed from the aft cabin overhead on the port side near the back of the cabin. The control arm exits through the depression in the cockpit in front of the wheel. There are just a few screws in the panel down below, drop the panel you will see it. Have some one operate the auto pilot while down below and you will hear the motor. Good luck.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
if you are looking for the linear drive motor it is right where Butch said it is. If you are looking for the computer it is on the starboard wall behind the electronics/radio panel. The Panel is only held in place with snap clips. Gently pull out on the radio face and it should snap out.

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
What Butch said. Check the mounting bolts- mine worked loose and the whole motor dropped free of the bulkhead. I added a steel or aluminum (been a while so not sure) backing plate when I reinstalled.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
On my 41DS the autopilot went nuts when the rudder angle indicator came apart. It is located under the cockpit floor and easy to access by removing floor. Access to linear drive and control panel is the same on my boat as described above.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
AP Bracket  H41AC.png
I will forego the holy $h1t moment story when it was ready to pull through the aft piece of expletive deleted compressed garbage wall in the berth and suffice to say I cut the pieces and had the boys at work weld me up a serious bracket that bolts to the floor of the aft lazarette, the aft bulkhead and the side bulkhead. NOTHING moves anymore. There's not enough room to mount the piston to the aft lazarette floor by spinning it 1/4 turn so you need to make a bracket. As nothing is square you need to measure cut and align each piece by hand before welding. God speed. lol