Raw Water Pump Seal - Yanmar GM series

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Vendors in my area do not have the water seal in the right size for these pumps. The measurements are the standard 10 25 7. Two questions: Does anyone have a source - I will settle for a carbon steel garter spring? Alternatively, can someone find a source with stainless garter spring?

Any help much appreciated.

Charles

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yanmar is very protective of it's dealers distribution rights; by the same token any listed part can usually be obtained from an authorized dealer in 3 days time. Growing up around motorcycles I learned to make my own gaskets and seals; a cutout from a file folder and some high temperature gasket sealant mad for good enough repairs. Have made my share of them for the old Yanmar.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Got mine from auto parts supply shop that carrys oil seals, o-rings, bearings etc...

Jan 30, 2012
Thank you. The item is a radial shaft lip seal and so not possible to fabricate. Still, it is a very common item - it is just that the size is odd. The Yanmar version might be OK but it uses a carbon steel garter spring and so it is very corrosion prone. Just not suitable for the people I am doing these pumps for.

Charles

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2012
A thousand thanks - order placed. Thinking perhaps replace the spring with rubber O ring of similar tension. Any one try this before?

Charles

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
A thousand thanks - order placed. Thinking perhaps replace the spring with rubber O ring of similar tension. Any one try this before?
Charles
Yes i did replaced the spring with rubber o-ring. Been in pump for a year now. No leak so far. In the past whenever pump leaks the spring has corroded away. So i guess using o-ring is a good thing.

Jan 30, 2012
Thanks Mark. Permit me a longer explanation. I have no difficulty obtaining bearings for any pump I restore - very plentiful. The problem is the lip seals - although I do use end seals on some pump models - these smaller pumps (Yanmar included) do not have space enough except for for a lip seal.

And the actual pump manufacturers (like Jabsco and Johnson which make the pumps for Yanmar) they don't provide seals only - just full kits. But the problem is no matter where one obtains the seal these are a bit rare.
Apart from the springs - even if you can find seals locally (carbon spring or otherwise) this particular size is rare.
For what it is worth apart from the UK I cannot find any source for replacement stainless springs - hence the O ring substitute.

Truth is the carbon springs do last a while. Maybe I am too picky - but I want a longer lived part for the folks I do pumps for.

Charles

Last edited: