Raw water impeller for Yanmar 4jh3e

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Are there any sources besides Yanmar direct? Also researching the oil and fuel filters. I am new to Yanmar as my previous boat Universal M25xp had many alternatives.
Thanks

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The impeller should be easy to find. The pump itself should hve a brand name on it which would allow you to ctoss reference. Worst case, would be to remove the impeller and take it with you to your ships store. I have had success getting filters from an auto supply store such as AutoZone or Napa.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Thanks Doug, according to the service manual's view it looks like a Johnson pump Sweden but the cover is on the backside which is a bear to access. Just curious if anyone has been there done that. I have a local Yanmar dealer but I'm sure I'll be paying through the nose.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I get impellors from an auto/marine parts store a couple blocks inland from the harbor that carries Johnson and Jabsco, they also carry Racor filters. They and NAPA both stock Wix oil and fuel filters, including replacements for Racor, my Yanmar dealer is a little further drive but I pick up a couple oil filters and one of the little "on engine" fuel filters whenever I go there. The Yanmar oil filters are pretty cheap really, of course they are tiny.
I've gotten a couple parts on Amazon from a company called Austral Marine in Florida
BTW it's usually easier to remove the whole pump (2 bolts) when changing the impellor.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Thanks Doug, according to the service manual's view it looks like a Johnson pump Sweden but the cover is on the backside which is a bear to access. Just curious if anyone has been there done that. I have a local Yanmar dealer but I'm sure I'll be paying through the nose.
Yanmar parts are not so bad..... makes things easy for me. I bought a parts manual so I just call with numbers and pick up next day. I like to know I have the right part spect to engine.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have " been there,done that" on a Johnson pump. You are right about the cover access. I get around that by taking the pump off the mounting bracket, and disconnecting the water line. The backing plate is then easy to access because the pump is out. The advantage of the Johnson pump is that it uses an O-ring to seal the cover rather than a gasket which might require extra work to clean the surfaces before re assembly. The last time I did this it took about a half hour.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Get a speed seal or speed seal life cover. They have thumb screw attachments and a slotted covers, very easy to R & r. An impeller puller is a big help.