Raw water cooling question

Oct 12, 2018
Catalina 30 Holiday Harbor, San Pedro, CA
Hi everyone,
While performing routine maintenance on my Atomic 5411 I noticed hose between the the bottom of the thermostat (which is attached to exhaust manifold) and tee’d into the raw water inlet. There is a ball valve, which is closed, between the thermostat and raw water inlet. I’m confused. Should that ball valve be open during operation? I’ve never opened it and don’t understand its purpose. The owners manual makes no mention of it.

Thank you,
Ed

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
This could likely be a manual device used in lieu of a thermostat. These were developed by Moyer Marine as an alternative to t'stats that seemed to fail frequently. I put one on my Atomic 4 (on my previous boat). I would open it about 1/2 and leave it in that position depending on needs. Here in the Puget Sound area the prevailing temps would allow it to operate that way regularly. Check out the device at moyermarine.com in the parts section.

Oct 12, 2018
Catalina 30 Holiday Harbor, San Pedro, CA
Thank you, I will check out the website. This boat is in Los Angeles but I have a Nordic Tug moored at Elliott Bay marina. I was scheduled to head up there on Tuesday but your weather is too cold for me.

Thanks again,
Ed