Rate my chainplates

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
Hey so quick catch up... I got this Catalina 30. 78' super cheap. Practically free. I didn't bother with a survey. It's on a highly desirable slip and it mostly looked OK.. had a bad engine.. but I said sure, I'll take it.

Now I'm wrapping my ahead around the projects.. engine being one I'm resolving with the help of some kind people here. The rigging is the next elephant in the room... I inspected the chainplates before buying it and it looked.. OK. Not great but not completely rotten.

I'd like to get a second opinion here and see if I can try and prioritize my long list of projects. How do these look to you guys? Would anyone consider this dangerous?

Starboard attached here:

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
1. whats the wood? how hard is it soft? new wood and sandwich chainplates with stainless backing plates 316 not just washers.
2. I would replace all bolts, nuts, washers with new 316 stainless and torquing down to specs.
3. Don't know what the deck with one screw is ?? but it needs to be fixed

Hope this helps! Capt Rob

?????

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
Awesome advice. I'll follow up on the other questions tomorrow. Going to double check where everything leads to and the materials.

I was thinking of drilling in to see what the core looks like. If it's intact or rotting from inside. It does look like there has been quite a bit of moisture exposure.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Awesome advice. I'll follow up on the other questions tomorrow. Going to double check where everything leads to and the materials.

I was thinking of drilling in to see what the core looks like. If it's intact or rotting from inside. It does look like there has been quite a bit of moisture exposure.
I would get a moisture tester and scan the wood and go from there.. However, Please show me the connections on deck!
It could be just bad sealant allowing slight moisture in making discoloration of the beams. Don't drill yet, but remove the chainplate and screws and see from the holes if the wood is compromised... What kind of wood is it?
Regards!!!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would remove the plates and check for corrosion replacing all bolts and any soft wood.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. I am with Benny.. The plates should be removed one by one using halyards to steady the mast.. The parts of the stainless inside the deck may have a lot of corrosion where ya can't see, crevice corrosion.. They need to be re-sealed anyway and pulling them is the best way to get that done .You'll be able to see the core when you do that.. The wood looks to have been wet but doesn't look rotted since the bolt holes don't look elongated..
Good luck !

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
They are fine. Just scanned the thread, but if you are looking to put plates in to spread the load over the bulkhead, then fine. Make sure you have some kind of caulk where they go through the hull. Catalina in all its infinent wisdom, never caulked them and water ingress in. On mine, the survey showed they were damp and the surveyor had me extend the chainplates down into the good wood. That was 15 year ago and they are fine.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello newbie3,
I agree with Justin_NSA about the haul out, blocking, and bring the mast down. Yes, some unplanned cost, but it will be easier and safer to work on all the chain plates, backer plates, wood, and whatever else you find that is unacceptable at the same time. Consider that this will not be a wizz-bang-finished project if you do the things mentioned in the previous posts. Working on the boat in its slip will expose you and all your work to wave action, wind and weather. Also, your tools and all the parts you remove can not swim! Easier to climb down a ladder to retrieve them from the ground. Care and diligence now will prevent an unexpected calamity later. If you spend some time on these things and others (through hull fittings, cabin top & deck top fittings, filters, cleaning, and whatever else is needed) you will be able to more fully enjoy this DITR (diamond in the rough)! Best Wishes.