Raritan PHii pump rebuild

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I needed to rebuild the pump on our PHii, and was surprised that I could not find any videos documenting the process. It isn't difficult, but sometimes it's nice to know ahead of time what you are getting into. I took a video of the procedure as I did mine today. This is for a 1992 - present pump.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Excellent video. Thanks for sharing. My wet/dry valve is hard to turn...now I have confidence to take it apart!

I am surprised your wife let you tear that apart on the kitchen counter....and use her toothbrush

Great video.

Greg

May 6, 2010
I should note that at around 15:30, before screwing the seal cartridge down with the ratchet, I should have seated the seal in the underside of it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My wet/dry valve is hard to turn...now I have confidence to take it apart!
The PHII should only need rebuilding about once every 5-6 years. However, both the pump and the dry/flush cam housing do need to be kept well lubricated. The best way to do that: Buy a tube of SuperLube thick teflon grease...Ace Hardware carries it. Remove the 4 screws that hold the pump on the base...lift the pump enough to be able to stick nozzle on the tube into it and give it healthy squirt--about a tablespoon. Replace the pump. Pump the toilet a few times to spread the grease all over the inside of the pump cylinder...you're good to go for at least a full season. Sure beats the socks off pouring oil down the bowl every few days.

If it is time for a rebuild, Raritan includes a single use tube in the rebuild kit. After you've replaced all the parts in the pump, use ALL of it as I described above.

And btw...be sure to kit the right kit for your toilet. PHII pumps made before June '92 need kit PHIIRK....pumps made after that date need PHIRKC. If you get the wrong kit a bunch of the parts won't fit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Peggie, Not knowing the age of my toilet, how do I identify the year so the correct kit can be purchased?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I like it. Especially the audio.

Were you wearing a helmet cam? :biggrin:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggie, Not knowing the age of my toilet, how do I identify the year so the correct kit can be purchased?
Your toilet would have to be at least 25 old by now to be a pre-June '92 version...unlikely but not impossible...The PHII can easily last that long if it's just kept well lubricated and rebuilt every 5-6 years (cost about $60). If your boat is newer than '92, the toilet has to be newer too. However, even if the boat is a '92 or older, the toilet could have been replaced any time since then. To be sure, go to the drawing in the owners manual PH II Owner’s Manual and check it against the PHII versions on this page on the Raritan site: http://raritaneng.com/tech-support/identify-your-head/#PHII Be sure you're looking at the *PHII* versions, not one above it that shows the differences beween the original PH and PHII.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not on boat but from what I remember is the PHII and based on the Raritan image it is post 1992. Thank you.
Now to service it on the next trip... I tried to follow your lube instructions but was greeted by a seepage of foul smelling water as I loosened the pump base. I thought I had cleaned the system out. Evidently not completely. There is a bit of distance from the toilet to the holding tank so my guess is not all of the effluent is resting in the holding tank.

May 6, 2010
The PHII should only need rebuilding about once every 5-6 years...
I am right on schedule - ours is 12 years old and this is my second time going through it! Probably could have gotten by with just a lube, but I wasn't sure. Figured it was time to give everything a good cleaning.

By the way Peggy, feel free to offer any caveats, corrections or improvements - you are the expert after all!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I tried to follow your lube instructions but was greeted by a seepage of foul smelling water as I loosened the pump base. I thought I had cleaned the system out. Evidently not completely.
Obviously not!! But at least you tried...that's more than 90% of people do. I think that may be because a toilet rebuild or hose replacement without any horror stories makes a boring story! :D

Jan 7, 2011
The PHII should only need rebuilding about once every 5-6 years. However, both the pump and the dry/flush cam housing do need to be kept well lubricated. The best way to do that: Buy a tube of SuperLube thick teflon grease...Ace Hardware carries it. Remove the 4 screws that hold the pump on the base...lift the pump enough to be able to stick nozzle on the tube into it and give it healthy squirt--about a tablespoon. Replace the pump. Pump the toilet a few times to spread the grease all over the inside of the pump cylinder...you're good to go for at least a full season. Sure beats the socks off pouring oil down the bowl every few days.

If it is time for a rebuild, Raritan includes a single use tube in the rebuild kit. After you've replaced all the parts in the pump, use ALL of it as I described above.

And btw...be sure to kit the right kit for your toilet. PHII pumps made before June '92 need kit PHIIRK....pumps made after that date need PHIRKC. If you get the wrong kit a bunch of the parts won't fit.
Thanks Peggy. Pump seems to work fine other than turning the wet/dry valve is hard. I don’t know how ago it was rebuilt, but I have owned the boat for 3seasons. She is a 1988 O’Day, so not sure which model it is. Are they marked anywhere with a model #?

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I don’t know how ago it was rebuilt, but I have owned the boat for 3seasons. She is a 1988 O’Day, so not sure which model it is. Are they marked anywhere with a model #?
I just answered your question in post #8 to this thread. The serial number on your toilet should be enough for Raritan to tell you exactly how old it is...however they would not be able to tell you when, if ever, it was last rebuilt. So all you really need to know is whether it's pre- or post- June '92.

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks Peggy.

Looking at the Raritan site you suggested, looks like it would be pretty easy to determine the model/built date.

Looks like a good winter layup project.

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not without some disassembly of the pump. Are you sure you aren't looking at the difference between the original PH and the PHII? 'Cuz both versions of the PHII look exactly alike...it's some of the parts in the pump that are different.

It's a good idea to take photos of everything BEFORE you take anything apart. That'll help you see how they need to be oriented.

Jan 7, 2011
I was referring to looking at the piston seal. One uses a u-cup and the newer pump uses the hex nut cartridge. I assume I can see the top of the hex nut cartridge (but maybe not...not looking at the pump right now). Great tip on taking photos while taking it apart.

Thanks,

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Hey Peggy,
I stopped by the boat today to look at my Raritan head.

Am I wrong in believing that the 1214W seal cartridge is the correct way to identify a post-1992 Raritan PHII?

Mine has a hex nut visible that the piston passes through. The pre-1992 does not appear to have this hex nut visible.

IMG_1533.JPG 2B93DCC4-F142-4072-86EA-2CAE73DBA656.jpeg 4810806D-9F07-440F-8140-F65F6DD30126.jpeg

Before I order a rebuild kit, would like to make sure I get the right one.

I was able to remove the wet/dry valve while at the boat, cleaned it up and lubricated it. Turns much easier now. But I noticed that the flat gaskets are pretty stretched out of shape or cracked.

Thanks for the identification link...very helpful....if I did it right!

Sefuller, great video. Thanks for the great DYI help.

Greg

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
My 3 year old PHII is leaking from the square valve on the front of the pump. I removed it and and cleaned with vinegar but no change. Slow leak. That isn't a part of the rebuild kit. Any way to fix that little valve in there?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
One more thing Peggie didn’t mention IMPORTANT do not grease the rubber gaskets that seal the base or top of the pump housing- they MUST be clean and dry when you reassemble. If you do use grease the seals will push out to the sides from pumping pressure when the toilet is used. No need to ask how I know.

Edit- correction “baskets” changed to “gaskets”.

Last edited: