Rare O'Day Swift

eldete

Jul 1, 2018
o'day swift Barrington
Recently saw an O'Day Swift on CList which I have never heard of before. After researching there wasn't much online about it so I thought It was rare and I snatched it up. Put on top my car and immediately took to the beach (on possibly the windiest day of the season!) Here's some details on it.

-It's small, tough to stay on, no grip
-the foam inside is hardened and you can hear it moving around (it still floats fine)
-There is a small hole on the side hull where it meets the deck (definitely gets water inside but you can drain it out)
-The tiller has a function where it flips up so you can rig it on land. But when sailing the stupid latch kept popping up and my tiller would be out of water. Maybe it was just the high winds.
- Finally when breaking it down after, my finger went through the sail and made a hole. Indicating the sail is rotten. Nothing went wrong on the water but you know.

So my question is, are there markets for this rare boat? Maybe kids on lakes? What could I sell it for? It really is in great shape, no discoloring or scratches. It was barn stored since the 60's.
thanks!!

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
lol, loved your sales pitch.
answer: no and $0.00.

just my opinion

eldete

Jul 1, 2018
o'day swift Barrington
well it really is in great shape for its age. and the rare-ness, only 1700 made. hopping someone out there is aware of these boats.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Unfortunately rareness of a boat isn't usually a selling feature. Rareness means it will be harder to find parts, harder to find people who know how to fix problems with them, and harder to find classes to sail in. Compared to a Laser, Opti, or Sunfish I'm not sure I see many marketable advantages.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
well it really is in great shape for its age. and the rare-ness, only 1700 made. hopping someone out there is aware of these boats.
It does look kind of fun.

But as David points out, there is no positive correlation between rare and valuable. Often it means no one wanted one then, and parts are hard to get today.

'Great shape for its age' is kinda a throw-away statement. Its either ready to sail or not. With a hole in the hull and useless sails, it not ready to sail. Or sell. Sounds like a bad episode of Sailboat Pickers', the one where you buy something without having any idea of what its worth.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
This makes me think back to a TV show that I saw once on DIY channel, I think they were flipping a lakeside cottage and found an old O'DAY Swift or Super Swift in the garage, the hosts exclaimed how valuable that boat was because O'DAY is such a well-known Brand! I bet the were disappointed if they tried to sell it for what they probably thought it was worth!

Far too often I see uncared for boat sitting in a backyard looking lonely and sad....... ad almost every time I think to myself, how I'd love to buy that boat for what it is REALLY worth, and sell it for what the Owner is asking! Even with having to do some work, I bet I'd still do a lot better than break even! However, "flipping" sailboats is not a high-profit business! I'm currently in the process of acquiring an old (like vintage 1953?) MIT TECH Dinghy, figure I'll fix her up, play with her for a year or two, then sell her, I may break even....... as long as I stick to a budget based on the approximate resale value. It does help that the boat is "FREE", but those can be the most expensive boats around. Still, this boat was originally part of the MIT fleet, and part of their first fiberglass group. Even if I do end up selling for less than I invested, it will be an interesting project!

Last edited: