Registered users don't see ads

RAM Mike installation at the pedestal.

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by Jacksail, Apr 4, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. CraigS

CraigS

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    35 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Fort Walton Beach, FL
    This location has worked well for us. Ram Mic connector.jpg Ram Mic location.jpg

2. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,934 posts, 70 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    What about interference with the autopilot?

I'm in the middle of installing my EV-200 and the instruction say to have any wiring for the EV-200 at least 3 feet from any wiring for a VHF.

3. walmsleyc

walmsleyc

Joined Feb 2, 2006
    358 posts, 15 likes
    Hunter Legend 35
    CN Kingston
    My autopilot is an older Raymarine one where the display is also the control head. (The EV-200 has a separate computer right?) so we not comparing the exact same thing, but ...

I would think the signals travelling on the RAM mic wire are generally low level enough to not interfere. A different story if your actual VHF radio, or VHF antenna wire were close to the AP.

For me, I have the RAM mic wire, and ALL AP wiring (power, compass, drive, rudder, GPS) and all sorts of other wiring all bundled together through the pedestal, and beyond.

So far I've had no interference problems. I do get interference on my wind instrument when I transmit on VHF. My wind direction will spin randomly when I transmit. I suspect this is happening at the mast head, but I'm not sure. So, using my AP in Wind mode, and transmitting on VHF could cause some course direction problems!

Chris

4. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,934 posts, 70 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    Yeah, this is how our old one is setup.

I now have both a NMEA backbone, a power cord and the ram mic cord coming up the port side. I might have to change the ram mic if it gives me interference.

5. SawyerCurt

SawyerCurt

Joined Dec 16, 2011
    146 posts, 14 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Atlantic Highlands
    Probably not terribly useful, but I wanted to follow up on my post from earlier. Just a reminder - I had an old VHF (original from 2001) and RAM, but I purchased a new, AIS-receive VHF and RAM with which the existing cable was not compatible. When it looked like the smaller end of the cable wouldn't fit in the binnacle pipe, I hired out the job. It is now complete. I went onto my boat yesterday to check it out, and everything works great. I did have him also install the USB charger into the NavPod, so he had to move the new RAM plug to the left of center (which is where the old, incompatible RAM plug was) to make room for the USB charger. The overall job took him 9 hours (4 hours over his initial estimate), but I was only charged for the original estimate. I forgot to take a picture with the MIC plugged in, but here is a quick collage.

JK_Boston_Catalina310 likes this.
  6. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    971 posts, 122 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    I went with the B&G V50 base with AIS and NMEA2000 in the cabin, and the H50 wireless remote at the helm.
    http://www.apsltd.com/b-g-v50-fixed...MI_o38vYG22gIVQzuBCh3hzQTPEAQYASABEgJsCPD_BwE

I mounted the charger at the nav station so I dont have to leave the handheld out in the open when not in use. Battery life is plenty for a day.

I tied my radio with my Garmin chart plotter using N2K so the radio can get coordinates from the chart plotter and the Garmin can get AIS info from the radio....works pretty well for me.

Greg

7. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,934 posts, 70 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    When you say plenty of battery for a day, how long are you really talking?

8. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    971 posts, 122 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    I have been out for 8 hours with no problem.

9. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,934 posts, 70 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    Unfortunately 8 hours doesn't really cut it for us. A lot of our passages are over a day. How waterproof is the charger? Could we mount it at the helm?

10. kappykaplan

kappykaplan

Joined May 1, 2011
    742 posts, 103 likes
    Pearson 37
    US Lusby MD
    I was out yesterday with my Simrad HS35 wireless remote mike for 6 hours - battery indicator showed 50% when I got back to the slip. The unit has a USB charging port, so I assume that with a long enough USB cable, I could plug it in to the 12v charging point near the helm.

11. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    971 posts, 122 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    You could always mount the charging cradle at the helm (or a second one at the helm), but I did not need that for my application.

The cradle would be nice at the helm as it holds the handheld nice and tight.

Greg

12. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    548 posts, 60 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    Curt, Which VHF did you install?
    With me doing that job, would have taken me three days! I agree some things you should always do yourself but others need to be done by a professional!

13. SawyerCurt

SawyerCurt

Joined Dec 16, 2011
    146 posts, 14 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Atlantic Highlands

Alansails and jssailem like this.

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.