Raising the mast on my Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed

Does anyone have an easy way to raise the mast on a Catalina 22? Mine is in a hoist. I juggle it myself until I have it pinned. My wife is on shore with a pulley system to get it up. I secure the stays when it's up. Thought I'd read about using 2x4's as a frame. My problem is most of the mast is past the balance point when I'm putting it in the step to pin it. One of these days....it's going overboard off the stern. Thanks for suggestions. Ed

D

DJ Answine

easier mast raising

ED, Unless there are power lines between you and the ramp the easiest time to raise your mast is on the trailor before launching. Once my boat is in the water the only thing I have to do is lower the keel,all else is done while it is on the trailor.Just a suggestion. DJ

H

Herb

set up the shrouds first

Hi Ed actually raising the mast is not too bad what I do is First I back the boat up to a street sign in the harbor parking area( I use it as a mast rest) I then conect my back stay Loosely set then I connect the center shrouds ( the ones that go all the way to the top of the mast ) again just a few turn into the turn buckle then I conect a line to the forstay and my wife mans (womans) the line. I slide the mast back and set the top end of the mast on the sign and then set the base into the tabernacle I then lift and guide the mast up while the wife pulls on the line. The shrouds prevent the mast from going over sideways and the back stay will prevent the mast from going to far forward. I then stabalize the mast while the wife clips the forestay into place . Tune the rig and then your all set. Takes about 30 to 40 mins from the time that I find my parking place. Trailer sailing is great although I put in at the start of the season and stay until it is time to tuck it in for the winter. Happy sailing Herb S/V DayDream

D

Dick of Sylvan

Crutch

Ed: I think you can find a description on raising your mast in the technical section of www.catalina22.org One trick that may help is to make a "crutch" to rest part of the mast above the stern while you are placing the mast base in the step. Mine is just a 2 x 4 with Y rest at the top, attached temporarily into the cudgeons where the rudder connects. I also use a homemade A frame tied at the base to the forward shroud chainplate to help get a good pulling angle on the forstay which reduces the amount of heman power needed to get the mast up a ways. These gimmicks take a little more time but unless you have lots of power at hand they are worth it I think. Raising the mast should also be described in the website above, and should also show up in the archives of this current website as it has been discussed here many times. Dick K.

F

Frank Sheets

Roller on the Rest

Hay ED I have an adjustable stern rest with rollers on it. It has pintle's on it that fit the gudgeon's on the boat. What I do is roll the mast back to the step and then pin it in place. I have a '71 and it has a slot that is open not closed like the new ones. This is bad becouse the mast can twist out. So I replaced the pin with a bolt, nut and two finder washers (not tight)and it keeps it from twisting. Remimber you only have to undo the two forstays and the bowstay when you take the mast down or put it up. I then make sure everything is clear, rase the stern rest up about 10' (with the mast on it). I reefed my boom vang long so I can atach it to the bowstay run it thru a fairlead to a cam block in the cockpit. I can then pull the mast up with the vang. After it's up I lock off the vang and go atach the bowstay and then the forstays. I do all this on land. When I get her in the water I then tune the mast. Hope this helps -Frank-

T

tom b. c-22

here try this one...

it has a few drawings on something you can try. me,, i used the winch on the trailer to raise the mast with a pole at the stern with a roller on it to get it past that place where you have no control.. raise it up on the post then get it in the mast base then i use the winch to raise it up the rest of the way.. but there are other ways of doing it..look in the archives.. but here try .www.slowflight.net..

R

Ray Hodges

Single handed mast raising

Ed, I made a mast raising system that works well for me. It is a modified gin pole made from a kiln dried 2x4 that is notched on one end so that it can be mounted (perpendicular to the mast) about 6 inches from the base of the mast and held there by a cargo ratchet strap. The notch conforms to the outline of the mast and is lined with rubber to help keep it snug once the nylon strap is cinched down. The length of the 2x4 is determined by the distance from the base of the mast to the bow chain plate. It has a small winch mounted with a rope that runs through a forward-facing pulley that then attaches to the bow chain plate. The jib halyard is attached to the stern-facing end of the 2x4 and cleated off. I got the idea from an article on the net entitled "Capri 18 Mast Raiser" by Erik VanRenselaar (www.catalina18.net/articles/mast_raiser.htm). The gin pole is designed so that I can do everything while standing in one place on the port side of the boat. What makes it work safely however is a bridle system I modified from an article from Good Old Boat (May/June 2001) entitled "No Fear Mast Stepping" by Ron Chappell. The bridle is a four point rope system (two lines go to secure points on the deck, one to the gin pole and the fourth to a point on the mast about 6- 7 feet up). There are port and starboard bridles which, when attached, steady the mast and gin pole to prevent any swaying as the mast comes up. The four ropes each attach to a ring that is on a imaginary line extending from the pivot point of the mast. I can raise the mast single handed in less than 10 minutes even in heavy cross winds. The winch can be locked at any point and allow me to adjust shrouds or tangled lines. The entire rig cost less than $100. E-mail me if need more details. Good luck. Ray Hodges aboard Second Chance. (pairodoks@aol.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.