Raising the Mast on a Hunter 23.5 - Looking for Advice

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Montross
I'm a first time boat owner getting back into sailing. Bought a 1993 Hunter 23.5. Former owner took down the mast and set it up for trailering so I could move it. Now I'm faced with the challenge of putting it back up.

The owner's manual has a short description of the mast raising process using the included mast raising pole and mast bridle wires. It sounds straightforward, but I'm betting others who have raised their masts this way can share some tips and advice. Looking for all input to help avoid problems. Please share what you can.

Also, I started writing up my own owner's manual, combining info from the Hunter owner's manual along with the manual for my roller furler, etc. I'm using this to write out more detailed directions for each step of the mast raising process. (LINK REMOVED by ADMIN) I welcome comments on the document and what I wrote. Feel free to download the document and adapt for your use.

Evan

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I clicked on and got warnings. Do not open.

As for mast raising of the 23.5, Not only did I design that system but pretty simple to raise.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The link crashed my iPhone app twice. Good call, Dave.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The doc appears to be legit

Here's a screen capture (partial). Note the green lock by the domain, which is verifying the identity of the host as Google. It's a ~20 page document so it's probably eating all available memory in your phone, Kermit.

I downloaded it and saved it as a pdf file (attached). FWIW, Chrome gave me no warnings and a pdf format should be pretty safe. It is possible to embed a virus in a pdf but I didn't do it this time. :) If you get a warning message about attachments when you open the file, don't open it. That said, it seems fine here.

The doc is very detailed and has value. Evan did a nice job of drawing information from several sources and combining it into one place.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Y'all, I downloaded Phil's pdf. Jeepers. Evan has gone to a LOT OF TROUBLE for us. I was suspicious at first since the file crashed my app and Crazy Dave got a warning message. I have an H260. It's not the same boat but has some similar features. I also have the same furler. Anyone with a similar boat should download the pdf and take a look at it. You just might learn something.
Oh, I tried to download the pdf on my iPhone but it never showed up. I'm on my real computer now and it works fine.
Thanks to Evan and Phil!

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Montross
Thanks to Phil for vetting my link and creating the PDF file. Yeah, it's a big document with a lot of pictures so the file size is large. Building this document was a lot of work, but it's one way I learn very well so I was happy to do it.

My document is still a draft. There are a few things I'm working out and hoping to spend time with the boat later this week. Will get new pictures and update it. I will happily share the MS Word version of the document by e-mail with anyone if you'd like to use it as a template to create a version for yourself.

The mast-raising system seems straightforward, but I still welcome comments and suggestions from those of you who have actually used it. Looking to avoid any unfortunate accidents which I'm sure won't be cheap to fix.

Evan

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
It's very straight forward and pretty easy to do. One person can easily do it, but it helps to have a second to keep watch and attach the furler, once it's up.

Just a couple of warnings:

Don't forget to attach the temporary side stays (baby stays?)

Watch the shrouds when you're almost all the way up as the turn buckles have a nasty way of getting caught and bent, when you least expect it.

Inspect your swaged fittings on the forestay especially (it may be hidden by the furler) before each raising. It's a bit... to find out the hard way (ask me how I know), that you should have.

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Montross
Thanks for the suggestions and advice on raising the mast. Just the kind of insight I was looking for.

I'm assuming the swaged fittings are how the Furlex's forestay wire is connected to wire terminal or rigging screw. Definitely worth inspecting. I can imagine why you suggest this and the image in my mind isn't pretty.

My boat did not come with baby stays. The manual has the measurements and details on them so I bought some wire rope and created my own with a clip at one end to connect to the eyes in the stanchions designed for the baby stays and a hook end on a turnbuckle to connect to the holes in the mast for the baby stays. Having the turnbuckle will allow me to finely adjust the length and the hook end appears to fit the hole in the mast well. Does anyone see a downside to this approach that I'm missing?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Evan;

I was the one responsible for that system. Feel free to contact me via forum email if there is anything else or other questions. I introduced all the boats for Hunter 30 feet and down for years and learned a lot too as a former dealer.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Guess I'll post my primitive notes I assembled this winter when I bought my boat. Certainly won't crash your apps. And I apologize for my terminology since I am still not real good with it. A note from the former owners of my boat. Don't even think about raising the mast without pony stays. Not sure how important that is, but they were awfully adamant.

I managed to raise the mast 2 out 3 times successfully. The failure happened due the guy pulling the mast up, tried to muscle a snagged shroud. Bent the mast raising pole. Not pretty.

Anyway, here are my notes:

1. Clear all bungees and fasteners, clear the way for furler to come up with the mast, check halyards and shrouds.

2. Pull the mast to the mounting point. Set pin with the boom vang bracket. May need hammer, plyers, punch

3. Set pony stays. Check the mounting points are free on the mast.

4. Attach pole. The eyelets should run fore and aft.

5. Attach the main sheet block and tackle to the anchor box eyelet, and to the pole. The cleat is on top. Attach the blue mast lifting line to the aft eyelet on the pole.

6. Tighten blue mast lifting line until the pole is perpendicular to the mast. May need the winch to tighten the line.

7. Closely check that Shroud attach points are free and clear. Pull up mast slowly, always scanning the shrouds and furler is free. If it hangs stop! The effort to pull the main lifting line is greatest at the start and becomes much easier to pull quickly.

8. Pull down on the main lifting line as far as possible. May need to stand on the line to tighten the final inches. If the Forestay pin does not line up, may need to even further tighten main sheet. SET Forestay PIN.

9. Remove main block and tackle from anchor box.

10. Detach jib sheet from pole and attach to safety line. Stow pole.

11. Mount boom, then attach the main block and tackle.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Thanks for the suggestions and advice on raising the mast. Just the kind of insight I was looking for.

I'm assuming the swaged fittings are how the Furlex's forestay wire is connected to wire terminal or rigging screw. Definitely worth inspecting. I can imagine why you suggest this and the image in my mind isn't pretty.
It wasn't. Our upper one at mast broke....20 knott winds, middle of lake in a ferry path...you get the picture.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
In step 6, I suggest you tighten the "raising line" so the mast raising pole is angled slightly aft from the perpendicular. This will help assure when raising, the pole does not put any pressure on the bottom edge of the raising hole of the mast. If it does, this will damage the mast at the hole. Just remember, the raising pole is NOT a lever with the mast hole as a fulcrum. The pole's sole purpose is to move the lifting angle further away from the mast. BrianW

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Evan 709 is to take some photos and get back in touch with me hopefully as this should address all the mast raising Hunters that came with factory installed mast raising as I was involved with that system. There are differences which I would like to cover and other tidbits that can be helpful.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
sesmith, I am curious - when your upper fitting failed, was it a swaged fitting (as opposed to one of the rarely used removable types) and did you determine what actually failed - for example, was it corroded stainless wire inside or at the edge of the fitting; the fitting itself cracked, etc.?

The only issue I have seen on my standing rigging was a few broken strands (no obvious corrosion evidence) on an upper sidestay, not near any fitting, and I installed a new stay. Wondering what the evidence would have looked like in your case.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Lets wait till Evan 709 and I can review what he has and formulate a good plan to raising that can be used for all the hunter water ballast boats which were orginially supplied with mast raising which I was involved with. Then we will get back with all of you.

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Friends absolutely Crazy D is the source of info but i wanted to share what i designed and the local sail shop fabricated for me. I will disclose a few things. 1. I picked it up today so i have not had a chance to test but the theory is the same as any gin pole design out there. 2. It is designed to fit z-spars z 140-230 as it bolts to the wings of tbe tabernacle for those mast steps. 3. Will need spring lines to prevent the mast from going sideways and causing an accident.

Hope this is helpful to anybody out here as i found this research to be quite overwhelming with all the options out there.

As you will be able to see the possibility exist for me to leave the base attached and only remove the pole.

Attachments

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Good morning Dave, yes i thought of that and because there is very little wiggle room i figured it will be ok. Still being a weaker metal sure is a big consideration.