Raising main - 36 footers

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On my 32 I must winch the last 5-6' from the cockpit, however a child could get it all the way up by jumping it at the mast. On my buddy's 36 we always have someone jump it (even when just 2 of us) and then winch tight while the 145 lb. jumper (me) "hangs" from the halyard. In most systems with lines lead to the cockpit there can be a lot of unseen friction. The clutches on my boat are slightly out of line with the lead, if I corrected that I could probably hoist it unaided.
BTW a liberal application of Sailkote or such on the slugs is always helpful.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yes, on a 34' boat. It's equipped with an after market track which is partially teflon or some other non slip material. I can't remember the name of the system but it has been talked about on this forum.
We jump the halyard at the mast which is much easier than the cockpit led halyard. While the trend of thinking is to have all cockpit led running rigging, those systems add a lot of friction and make raising sails more difficult.
If your sail is in a mast groove rather than on a mast track, with slugs, than that adds a lot of friction.
Seriously, we have the main up in ten seconds and just use the winch to adjust halyard tension.
Other than that, if you set the halyard up for raising the main at the mast, the halyard should exit the mast about 8' above the deck so a 6' guy can reach up and put his body into raising the sail. Some boats have a cam cleat under the exit plate on the mast to lock in the halyard. That can backfire in unusual circumstances.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Yes, on a 37' boat. I pull the halyard at the mast, then pull through the turning blocks at the base of the mast, then head to the cockpit to pull through the line clutch. Winch is used to put appropriate tension on the luff of the main. Guess I should add that most of my sailing is solo, on the order of 85% this season.

As Calif. Ted and shemandr note, there is a lot of additional friction for lines run to the cockpit. When I first started single handing, I found that I could get about a third of the main up before needing the winch - way too much work! I finally figured out that the way I took the main down by releasing the line clutch, then hand-over-hand to the mast was a far better way (in reverse) to get the main up.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Yes, on a 34' boat. It's equipped with an after market track which is partially teflon or some other non slip material. I can't remember the name of the system but it has been talked about on this forum.
We have the Tides Track from Tides Marine. I can raise our 10oz main within 10 feet of the masthead before using a winch. Oh wait a minute, that was last year.

https://www.tidesmarine.com/sailtrack

All U Get

Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
I can easily raise the main about 3/4 of the way up by hand - at that point I use a Lewmar 16 self tailing winch to finish the task... It is easier for me to watch the sail and other boats while cranking the winch.

Garner

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
John, age 61, gets the main about 3/4 of the way up by hand, then we use the winch, a 30 two speed self tailer. A few years ago we sprang for the Winch Rite so that I, Gayle age 61, could also get the main up when sailing with gal pals. We use the Teflon spray in the sail track every spring. We hoist a very lean lightweight girl sailor to the top and let her spray on the way down, and when putting on the sail in the spring we also use the Sail-Kote on each slide. But we noticed that each year, John got the main a bit farther from the top before needing to resort to the winch or Winch Rite. 13 years ago he could haul it up in a trice!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Well, Im 62 and can get it up about 3/4 (sail)...i had a sistership of this boat some 30 yrs ago and dont remember if i could haul it up all the way or not. Had a Gulfstar 44 in the interim and did half to winch the last part. We have a new main which is quite heavy and stiff so i may go the winch rite option. My rigger friend suggests the Strong Track from Tides Marine. We still have the original winch on the cabin top which is very marginal and not ST. And i only get about a half turn of winching as the dodger is in the way. The dodger is in the way cuz the traveller was moved to the hatch hood area by PO. I wanted to move it back to the bridge deck but admiral said no cuz the dodger would have to shrink substantially.....

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I'm embarrassed to admit that my 63 year old index finger sometimes hurts while hoisting the main on my C&C 110 (36 footer). The push buttons on the Harken ST46 electric winches have a pretty strong return spring. :redface:

I have a Tides Marine sail track and can't raise the main fully without using a winch unless I take a power nap immediately afterwards. My dacron main must weigh at least 80 pounds and with the halyard lead aft to the cockpit, there's definitely additional friction preventing a full manual hoist.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Been looking at the Tides Strongtrack. For those that have it, will it rattle in the mast groove if the wind blows while furled at the slip or at anchor?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Ours hasn't for four years, it did fit snugly when installed.

All U Get