Raised Cockpit Seat

Aug 27, 2017
Catalina 30 Sidney
Hi I am wondering if there is an upgrade or after market seat for the cockpit? I have a 1981 Catalina 30 and it gets hard on the back standing for hours. Just looking for any ideas or pictures of anyone who has upgraded or installed a homemade seat. I know it would have to be removable to access the compartment below. Thanks

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Here is one that I did. The seat bottom swings down and out of the way when accessing the swim platform! I did not want to cut a big hole in the fiberglass seat so I mounted the receiver on top of the seat.

Attachments

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
Seadaddler; Thanks for the Info. I have a 93 Cat Mark II with a walk thru stern, this will work out great.

Aug 16, 2017
Hunter 36 Keyport, NJ
Cobalt79, I have Hunter 36, and followed Seadaddler's example and installed a Springfield Standard Hi-Lo pedestal. Fairly easy installation, just make sure you measure carefully before cutting the hole for the pedestal. It makes even short sails much more comfortable. And being able to quickly remove the seat means access to the swim platform and stowing the pedestal and seat when not in use.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Cobalt, if you are going to go through the trouble of installing a chair, choose a Captains chair with arm rests and a nice cushion. This is one of the best boat improvement projects that can be undertaken; it is worth going in style specially if you cruise.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Here is one that I did. The seat bottom swings down and out of the way when accessing the swim platform! I did not want to cut a big hole in the fiberglass seat so I mounted the receiver on top of the seat.
That is a nice set up would you mind letting me know where you store that beautiful seat when you are using the swim platform?

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Seadaddler,
I'm interested in the mesh attached across the opening under the seat. Is it a purchased product or did you have it made?

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Oops, sorry Seadaddler,
Just realized that the pictures showing what I am interested in were from Nodak7.
So, Nodak7, where did you get the mesh?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Oops, sorry Seadaddler,
Just realized that the pictures showing what I am interested in were from Nodak7.
So, Nodak7, where did you get the mesh?
Newport the mesh was from a auto store to keep a load secured. I do not recall which one though. Works great for keeping the dog in and "catching" stuff rolling around the cockpit.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Newport the mesh was from a auto store to keep a load secured. I do not recall which one though. Works great for keeping the dog in and "catching" stuff rolling around the cockpit.
Thanks, I'll check my local stores. I need it to keep the grandkids and their toys in.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I got all my parts at Walmart and a fancy chair would be nice but with the folding cheaper seat it is easy to stow and it does swing around for viewing 360.
my install wasn't that easy taking a part the swing down seat/step and think Nodak7 looks easy to bolt to top of seat.
I don't fine myself sitting back relaxing too much and fine I do like it for getting a break from standing long periods of time but do move around a lot while sailing.
Nick

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
On the Hunter 31, they built that hump into the cockpit seating.

2018-01-06 21.25.19.jpg