Rain gear for legs

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Hi folks,

Can anyone make a recommendation for decent quality, not too expensive rain bibs for when racing/sailing in the rain? I've never had rain gear for my legs. My concern with bibs, as with poor quality rain jackets, is while it may be waterproof, it traps heat inside and I get just as wet with sweat anyway. I'm looking for christmas gift ideas that I can give wifey. Otherwise it will be nothing but socks.

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If it is for summer day sailing, don't get too hung up on bibs or off-shore quality. Lightweight gear for hiking will be a lot cooler. I've used it plenty sailing. I have bibs too, but I save them for cooler conditions. I have 3 sets (actually more); light tops and bottoms for summer, bibs and heavier jacket for spring/fall and some winter, and a dry suit for cool/cold and really wet. In dry cool/cold conditions I wear a windsuit (several combinations).

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks thinwater. For cold/rainy days I wear my ice fishing bibs/jacket. I'll take a look at hiking bottoms. Good tip! :)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
For Great Lakes sailing, it's almost always appropriate to have foulies on-board as there are very few "too hot" days. That said, for day sailing, buoy racing, and weekend cruising, you will never wear out a good set of foulies. This purchase will literally last the rest of her life, so spend the extra $100 and get something comfortable. As you note, anything is waterproof, and cheap foulies are like wearing a plastic bag. Good quality foulies release interior moisture and wear well for hours.

As a safety note, anytime you have on foulies you should be wearing a PFD. PFD's are a good idea all the time, but I require them for night sailing, gales, and foulies. You just cannot swim in those things!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
After awhile, you build up several sets to match conditions. I find pure 'foulies' too heavy, thick and hot for many conditions.

A pair of sailing pants, water and windproof, but tough and breathe-able are my middle choice between sailing shorts and coastal foulies. Every major player makes them. About 120 bucks. Unlike hiking pants, they will have reinforcement on the knees and butt, needed to combat the anti-skid on the deck.

Match them with a racing smock and good underwear and you are comfortable racing in iffy weather down into the 30s.

in32t_inshore_lite_trouser_graphite_2_6.jpg

My middle-weight gear has always been SLAM, an high-end Italian brand. When I found out that there were going to stop making sailing pants, I bought three last three pairs I could find.

slam.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Jackdaw nailed it. I find bibs actually comfortable often without the jacket and since they are "open" at teh top, they don't get as hot as you might think.

Have fun, lots of good choices.

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks guys. This is for the hot days in the middle of the summer. JD, do you find you sweat in those Gill pants you show above, like when the outdoor temps are in the 80s and even 90s? Maybe there is no magic bullet for those circumstances. This isn't for Lake Erie either, just a little reservoir I race on in Columbus.

Mar 26, 2011
NO rain gear is going to be comfortable when it gets hot unless it is continuously wet. Sometimes it's better to get wet and wear fast drying clothes. In the summer I throw on light rain gear for cold thunderstorms, but then it comes back off. If it is just some occasional spray, perhaps a light jacket and shorts. No one answer, it depends on the day.

What I find humorous are the people that used HD off-shore gear for every circumstance. Summer thunderstorms. Cold dry conditions, when all you need is wind protection. All day in the fall. No wonder they wear it out and it leaks when they actually need it.

Bibs are ALWAYS hotter than pants. I have several pairs of both.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am so cheap... I got my rain gear from Ace Hardware. It was cheap and it worked just fine. So good , by the way, that I took it with me to Afghanistan. Left it there. Rain gear is hard to come by in Afghanistan unless you can find a 55 gal trash bag.

Really though, the bib/overalls and the jacket worked and kept me dry.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Brian: Are the folks in Afghanistan in need of better rain gear? Looking for care package contents. Suggestions?
G

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If it's hot I would go with a bathing suit that dries quickly and a long sleeve fishing shirt. I've sailed around Sandusky in the Summer and it can be hot as blazes. Then, if it might be cool (Cold Front) the wind pants - no jacket until it either rains or there is a lot of spray. Bibs/Foulies stay at home for the summer. Those I take on shoulder season regattas. It never hurts to pack some sweatpants, warm socks, and a warm shirt in your bag to change into. I have a LL Bean River Runner Wool/Polyester shirt that I usually don't go without anytime I'm worried about being cold.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Just re-read the OP. Telling the wifey to gut it out in shorts might not be wise. There's a reason my wife wears a stylish light jacket that cost me $180 and I'm in a box store cheapo jacket.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks guys. This is for the hot days in the middle of the summer. JD, do you find you sweat in those Gill pants you show above, like when the outdoor temps are in the 80s and even 90s? Maybe there is no magic bullet for those circumstances. This isn't for Lake Erie either, just a little reservoir I race on in Columbus.
If its above 65 I'm likely in sailing shorts, even if its expected to rain. Water is better than sweat.

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks guys for the advice! yeah, I agree water is better than sweat. I suspected there was no magic bullet here. Oddly enough, even when it's cold and rainy and I'm wearing my shorts, or even jeans, before the start I might be shivering, but once the horn blows I completely forget about the cold or the dampness. Then after the finish the shivering begins again. Do you other racers experience the same thing? I think it's just the adrenaline and mental focus involved in racing taking over.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks guys for the advice! yeah, I agree water is better than sweat. I suspected there was no magic bullet here. Oddly enough, even when it's cold and rainy and I'm wearing my shorts, or even jeans, before the start I might be shivering, but once the horn blows I completely forget about the cold or the dampness. Then after the finish the shivering begins again. Do you other racers experience the same thing? I think it's just the adrenaline and mental focus involved in racing taking over.
First, I never wear jeans while sailing. Cotton is rotten. I can’t remember the last time I stepped in a boat in jeans.

Second, I remind crew to ‘stay on top of the cold’. This is so important for longer races, or on cold water like Lake Superior. While adrenaline will help, once you are cold sailing it is REALLY HARD to warm up. And it effects both physical and mental performance.

This why great gear helps. The key is to absolutely keep the wind off of you. Even drafts. Do this and you can dress for the air temp and activity level, regardless of wind and water. The tricks that it can be expensive. Blocking all air flow requires excellent breathability while being windproof. That’s not cheap. To see my point, go price a Musto LPX smock.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
I could keep you warm and dry (no shivering) from a thrift store. I'm certainly not heading out on the course shivering. In fact, I can't remember shivering from old or sweating much from being over dressed. As Jack says, you adjust as often as needed--you will sail faster if you are comfortable. Hats and jackets come on and off, but leg layers seldom need to change.
  • No jeans. Ever. Unless it was >75 I'd probably send you home to change. Even then, I'd tell you to wear something more practical the next time. Jeans are for teenagers IMO. And they don't work.
  • The need for waterproofs varies with the boat. Even my F-24 is dry enough that I only wear them if it rains or is quite rough (15-20 knots sustained). Otherwise, windproof breathes better.
  • Fleece. Socks, mid-layers. You need super-breathing, and Goretex does not do that.
  • Find a thrift store in a good neighborhood. Seriously. I have a number of Goretex (or equivalent) jackets and pants or bibs, of brands we have discussed, and of which were less than $15. Several still had the tags on them, probably gifts that didn't fit.
  • The head matters. Balaclavas and ski goggles make sense below ~ 45F, depending on the individual. Thick knit caps and sunglasses are less efficient. Slealing the neck is a big deal, and goggles help keep the whole face warm.... an I'd be wearing sunglasses anyway.
It's below freezing, and I'm fine. Everything covered, no air leaks. Those are windproof pants with drawstring ankle over over fleece, and the jacket is a light water resistant spray jacket from Patagonia. Very light and agile, very breathable.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You might find some other options at a fishing oriented store Not Bass Pro Shop .... their like way, way overpriced.... try Walmart.... or look at the outdoor rec companies like REI.