Radio

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Was thinking about buying a new radio and abandon the handheld. My ability to reach out is limited.

How would I know what type of antenna would work? If I rewire my mast, I may as well run a coaxial. I'll have to modify the top to accommodate it and still have full swing of the wind vane. I'll manage that but I really want the system to be effective.

I really don't want to double the cost of the radio but I suppose it is what it is.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
use a Metz ( warrented for life )antenna the military uses them and they cost no mor than the other brands and get an extension arm for the wind vane

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
You can get a windex that rotates on the antenna. I like it.

....in the picture above there is a bunge there and the mast is actually down on the trailer the bungee just keeps it from spinning going down the highway and comes off when I raise the mast (if I remember :redface:).

More on all of that here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-42.html

Not sure where you are sailing but if you are out at all in shipping lanes I'd spend some more on a radio that also is an AIS receiver so you see where the big boats are and where they are going. I got a Standard Horizon 2100 I think for $240 when they came out with a new model. I think they run about $300. A lot of people like them better than their radar if they have that also. Those radios use the same antenna for all of it and they and I think now about all have DSC,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Installed a radio with a primary radio inside the boat and a secondary remote microphone /control head combination in the cockpit. It also has GPS built in that feeds the display in the cockpit forward bulkhead.

Nice rig, all in one place.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
secondary remote microphone /control head
I have carried around an antenna at the back of the boat cabled to a radio inside the cabin for a long time.. never used it a single time in about 8 years (cell phone has ended up more useful - but I still like having the radio..)

I was recently sailing with some other sailboats and people were talking on the radio. I was sailing the boat and pretty much could not respond on the raido since I was actively sailing - not in the cabin. I now have a spot in the cockpit for a handheld so I can get at it while also sailing the boat. That remote sounds like a better way..

Nov 19, 2011
I won't get rid of the hand held but want a better set up. I also hear broken announcements.

Sum, I like that idea about a wind indicator on the antenna itself, makes sense. I sail exclusively in the Chesapeake Bay but one day I plan to make the Bimini crossing. The Chesapeake is a very active shipping channel itself.

Fwiw, I use an app called boat beacon which gives me an AIS capability. I'm pretty sure it makes me visible to AIS vessels. I use this every time I go out because it will also transmit my location to a website that family can track me on. I can also see AIS vessels, their heading and speed, type etc. my phone becomes the GPS for this. My wife's phone also has the boat beacon app. One thing I do have is phone chargers.

I don't have DSC with my hand held and it would be nice if something happened to be able to send location info.

I just didn't realize marine radios were so complex. I guess I thought it was nothing more than CB.

When I made my last journey, my handheld died and the charger quit too. I was in need of fuel, it was getting late and I had no way to find fuel. I hoping it was just a fuse on the charger but even if it was, I didn't have a spare. Fortunately I found the wind I needed and was able to continue on without going 15 miles out of my way.

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Yes, the radio I use, with the remote in the cockpit we mounted the antenna on top of the mast on an easily removable stainless steel plate. We do this so it can be removed for trailering. We have one of those Davis windex things on the radio antenna. Love it. Available from west marine and other places. See attached photo from the package.

image-1190928729.jpg

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
For group sailing the hand held is the way to go. No need to have your comms heard 20 miles away when you can see the boat your talking to. The band is crowded enough with essential traffic. For longer range and emergencies you do need the power and big antenna of the installed radio.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
At VHF, the principle consideration in extending range is not power but the height of the antenna. Use good quality coax and stay away from cheap crimp connectors and you will be fine with any radio. Bells and whistle radios are nice but not essential for your stated purpose.

Nov 19, 2011
Allow me to clarify. Last time out, may handheld radio died, charger didn't work. I want a hard wired radio. I couldn't even call for help if I wanted.

I would like the DSC function since I have a compatible Chartplotter. If something happens to me, all my crew needs to know is to engage the DSC and listen to the radio.

I can't always see who I want to talk to. Some of these events we can be separated by 10 miles or more (lowest priority)

So I want to go with a basic DSC radio (149 at WM) an acceptable antenna mounted on the top of the mast, and decent coaxial with proper connections and a way to disconnect it at the deck because this is after all, a Mac and I occasionally tow it.

I may skip the deck connector but rather bring enough out through the deck to make a single connection in a manner that can be weather proofed.

Really, I don't want the best of everything, I just need it to work. I do enjoy listening to other vessels.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
.....Fwiw, I use an app called boat beacon which gives me an AIS capability. I'm pretty sure it makes me visible to AIS vessels. I use this every time I go out because it will also transmit my location to a website that family can track me on. I can also see AIS vessels, their heading and speed, type etc. my phone becomes the GPS for this. My wife's phone also has the boat beacon app. One thing I do have is phone chargers.

I don't have DSC with my hand held and it would be nice if something happened to be able to send location info. ..
I like having the DSC and hope I never need to use it. If things go to h*ll it would be nice to toggle it on and then get to work trying to handle the situation and not have to be at the radio at the same time.

Thanks for mentioning the Boat Beacon. Interesting. I looked it up and see that it does also transmit your location, to some degree. My radio would not pick up say your location and a passing ship might not either. If I read it right it would show up only to others using Boat Beacon near you and ....

your boat will also appear on live AIS traffic sites and their associated mobile applications
... meaning they would have to be connected to the internet and using a mobile application to see you not just an AIS radio like I have.

Still it looks like a good product and does basically what I'll be able to do with my radio's AIS connected to the computer running OpenCPN.

If I end up later actually sailing in areas of heavy commercial traffic I think I'll put out the $800 for a transmitter that will send my location to anyone with a receiver. I'd only probably use it if I was for instance crossing to Bimini during the night or some place else with a lot of traffic. Otherwise it would be off since if every small boat gets one of these and uses it all the time screens would get cluttered with a lot of boats that don't really need to be seen under the circumstance.

One thing that was a pain with the radio I now have in the Mac and even the AIS one I'm installing is I have to connect an external (other) device for them to get the GPS location. I did this but now you can get radios that have GPS built in so that makes life simpler. If I end up sailing alone I'm thinking of getting a handheld with gps/DSC as a safety measure and keep it on me. If I go over there is still some chance that could save me vs. being out there alone miles from anyone else,

Sumner

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Standard Horizon's newest - GX2200Matrix - has GPS, DSC and AIS all built in... as in you don't need an external unit for either system. Handy stuff to have, in case of emergencies and busy shipping lanes... and it transmits at 25w for good sending power. I've got one dog-eared for purchase over the winter at $299.99

And Sumner... or anyone: the handheld HX851 has GPS/DSC built in for $179.99. I think that's a great item to have in case you need to ditch. I'll keep that right along with my flares, in case we have to move to the tender.

(I'm finding that my boat, which was more than safe and prepared for lonely mountain reservoirs, is needing a lot of new stuff to come in line with regs, once we move to Seattle in the spring)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
.....And Sumner... or anyone: the handheld HX851 has GPS/DSC built in for $179.99. I think that's a great item to have in case you need to ditch. I'll keep that right along with my flares, in case we have to move to the tender.....

I think I'll order that and keep it attached to me while on the boat alone and underway. It would be a great safety feature. I thing from now on even if I am with someone I'd wear it going forward. If you go over while sailing and there is much of a sea and they have to get the boat stopped and the sails down and motor back to you chances are they have lost sight of you.

We didn't practice that drill and really should of. We both new to punch the 'man overboard' button on the GPS but still in mass confusion a person might forget to do that and you might also move to a new location in the water.

If I was ordering a new fixed radio I'd also get the one you have. I have all of that but like I posted before it is connected to a GPS since it didn't have that built in at the time. The one you posted would be easier to install.

Enjoy Seattle, I've lived there for 4 months once and about 7 months another time (navy in Bremerton) and liked it. I was there both times over summer and the summers are great there. A little to rainy the rest of the year but it hardly ever rains hard so you just do whatever your doing and ignore what rain there is,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you go over while sailing and there is much of a sea and they have to get the boat stopped and the sails down and motor back to you chances are they have lost sight of you.

We didn't practice that drill and really should of.
Immediately going to heave to will allow you to sail right back to the "victim."

I've found it's a good start to get back. No engine required.

Nov 19, 2011
Stu,

I really want to practice that maneuver this year coming as a means to "stop" but I don't know how it will allow you to sail back.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
For group sailing the hand held is the way to go. No need to have your comms heard 20 miles away
good point..

I know I drift up to 1.2 knt in heave to. Im not sure if you drift back exactly from where you came from ... maybe???

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
good point..

I know I drift up to 1.2 knt in heave to. Im not sure if you drift back exactly from where you came from ... maybe???
I think it depends on where you came from. ;)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I think it is important to work on these different skills controlling the boat like the 'heave to' but often the person we are out with just doesn't have them or the agility to execute them and even if it is you that is executing that maneuver if you are alone you've lost sight of them most likely if the water isn't very flat. So even if one is proficient in quickly handling the boat if they are the one that goes overboard now their life is in the other persons hands.

It doesn't take long for a person to go out of sight and a $179.00 radio seems to me to be pretty cheap insurance to help even the odds. With it you would know where they are not where they were.

Is this a necessity? For all the lake sailing we did I wouldn't worry about it. Going across Florida bay out of sight of land and other boats with moderate waves where the nearby crap pot floats appear and disappear with the wave action I'd say it would be real nice to have. Sailing at night anywhere it would be nice. Sailing in cold waters where getting back to the person quickly is important it would be nice,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I hate that this is actually coming up on two threads but this is the more appropriate one. What's the odds this will do?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shake...ss-steel-mast-antenna-and-wind-vane--11220449
It might work fine. I notice it has RG-58 cable vs. the RG-8X that I used and looked up the difference. If it is RG-58 and not RG-58A/U it has a solid center wire vs. a stranded one like the RG-8X and the A/U. That means it won't take repeated bending without possibly breaking at some point. Might not be a problem if the boat is slipped and the mast is up all the time. If not and it was me I'd go with one of the other cables. Might want to read this...

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/coaxtalk.htm

For an antenna I bought a Shakespeare 5215 for about $45 and the windex for somewhere in the $30 dollar range I think and the RG-8X should be about $40-$50 so about the same as that West Marine price but I think better wire. Check on here and Defender Marine for individual prices and see what you come up with.

One thing that it does have is that mount but you could make that with a piece of strap aluminum or SS. It wouldn't need to be as complicated as the one I made.

Good luck,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]