Racing small boats

Feb 5, 2011
Irwin Mark IV Concord Yacht Club
I am considering buying a small 20 footer or less to race. Does an organization exist whereas I could actually get into rankings? Meaning if I race well locally I could progress to regional sanctioned races/events and so forth?
I’m totally new to the racing lingo/world.
Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You can start with US Sailing, https://www.ussailing.org. That is the organizing body for yacht racing.

Next find out which one design classes are racing in your area. Some are more competitive than others. The Lightning Class is popular as is the Flying Scot class. Both have active National Class Associations. There are others.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For sure take a look at what’s been race locally. It makes no sense to own a boat that you can’t race nearby. If given the choice, you first have to decide between dinghy and monohull. There could be crew options as well. For monohulls look at the J/22 - it’s a little bit longer but it’s an established worldwide class. Same thing as the laser in the dinghy world. Both have regional, national, and world events that you have to qualify for. If you really want to know how good of a sailor it you are., You sail something like that.

Nothing at all wrong with the Catalina 22 and like classes, but their champions are a big fish in a very small pond.

Oct 25, 2015
Catalina 22 Cave Run Lake ky
First find out what others are racing locally. More precisely what are people sailing with in one hour travel time for YOU.
I have raced for over 50 years and can tell you that you will NOT drive more than that to sail a Saturday race more than a few times a year.
If you may want to be able to travel then look at what is being raced in place like Nashville, Atlanta and Lake Norman NC.
or what is raced in Florida if that is where you go in the winter. Regional racing is very different from local racing and can a lot to your enjoyment but is a huge commitment of time and effort.
Also remember that a 20 to 22 footer like a Flying Scot or a Catalina 22 requires a crew and they have to be willing and able to travel with you. I have traveled to regional events and gotten a local crew with good results but the learning curve is very steep and would not recommend it until you have a lot of experience with your boat.

Feb 5, 2011
Irwin Mark IV Concord Yacht Club
Thanks all. I’ve decided to hold on getting the 17ft boat we were considering and look a little more closely at the 20-22 footers. I actually learned on a 22 Catalina.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
There could be crew options as well.
Think about that one long and hard if you seriously want to campaign a boat. A mate or close friend, who shares the same passion (read that again, "same passion") as you, makes two on the boat consistently. Now think about that 3rd or 4th crew...

Might I suggest finding the most serious racer in the area and being the passionate crew for a season. You will learn a lot and know by the end of the season what boat you want for your area and what challenges you want to take on beyond.