Racing Hunters on Galveston Bay

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
In the first GBCA Rum Race of 2017, Hunters were 4 of the top 8 finishers in the cruising class.
My 340 and 80's vintage 34, 37.5, and 40.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Cool, Bill. Looks like fun. I always enjoyed racing the J/24 out of HYC on GB.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Liked your racing video and your photographers shots, looked like a fun time. I have a 356 so good to see you in the thick of it.

Question on your bowsprit I saw in the dock shot, is that a removable mount so that you can easily take off for opening your anchor well? Does that help a lot with flying the Asymmetrical Spinnaker .

Jeff

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Sailing videos are neat and you got some really nice shots.

One of the things of real interest is, how did you get the cam shots from aft of the stern? I looked at all the aft-facing shots but couldn't see anything like a boom pole or other device that would support a cam. At 1:13 there was a yellow colored line, or something, that showed up near the port stern that went somewhere toward where the cam might be.

Another question, what cam were you using?
Otherwise, looked like a good sized fleet out there so lots of competition in the classes. Good work!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Liked your racing video and your photographers shots, looked like a fun time. I have a 356 so good to see you in the thick of it.

Question on your bowsprit I saw in the dock shot, is that a removable mount so that you can easily take off for opening your anchor well? Does that help a lot with flying the Asymmetrical Spinnaker .

Jeff
I always have good luck with "volunteer" photographers. It was Mandy's first time on anything other than a Sunfish. She had never used a DSLR before, but did fantastic:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133077067@N03/albums/72157681673104733
She also had been a bartender in college and put just the right amount of salt and lime on a XX. I hope she's available for the rest of the races this summer.

You can remove the bowsprit in under 10 seconds, there were postings about it in a thread a couple months ago:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...33-spinnaker-setup.184418/&highlight=bowsprit

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Sailing videos are neat and you got some really nice shots.

One of the things of real interest is, how did you get the cam shots from aft of the stern? I looked at all the aft-facing shots but couldn't see anything like a boom pole or other device that would support a cam. At 1:13 there was a yellow colored line, or something, that showed up near the port stern that went somewhere toward where the cam might be.

Another question, what cam were you using?
Otherwise, looked like a good sized fleet out there so lots of competition in the classes. Good work!
There were 62 boats that submitted finish times in 5 classes, about 20 in the cruising class.
There was another thread just a few days ago about the camera set up I've been using:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/weekend-sail-motivation-pics.185584/
I can still easily reach the camera and change it out when the battery dies or adjust the lens, so I'm going to get the bender out and make one that's just a little farther off the boat.
The DSLR is a Canon Rebel T6i. The POV action cams are Drift Ghosts and Stealths, waterproof to 10' without a special case and a rotatable lens. Ghosts are about $270 and Stealths, about $70. I can't say how they compare to GoPros, I've never used one.
In this video, at 5:14, you can see me rotate the lens to level the horizon.