Quick Release of Jib Sheets

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
FYI, I would just love to live in Dillon or Frisco for the summer and keep a sailboat in one of the marinas. Its not always super gusty and the lake is dominated by sailboats. You get a lot of real nice sailing days along with the occasional crazy gusty day. Its that eight months of winter that I no longer would be "too excited" about but that may be why you are there in the first place.

QuikAg

Feb 6, 2009
2 30 Mk III Buffalo
You have the wrong type of cleat for a jib sheet (and all the other comments about cam cleats are also incorrect) A jib sheet should be held in an open Vee cleat. These look wimpy but hold extremely well. It is all we use for the genoa and the spinnaker when racing (which is all the boat is used for) Under the heaviest load, all you have to do is lift up and the sheet comes free. Then you can either ease, or tail it in to flatten the jib

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You have the wrong type of cleat for a jib sheet (and all the other comments about cam cleats are also incorrect) A jib sheet should be held in an open Vee cleat. These look wimpy but hold extremely well. It is all we use for the genoa and the spinnaker when racing (which is all the boat is used for) Under the heaviest load, all you have to do is lift up and the sheet comes free. Then you can either ease, or tail it in to flatten the jib
Every boat I have ever been on that did not have self tailers had cam cleats. Those "V" (Jam) cleats stop holding as well once line and the cleat starts wearing. I guess all those other sailors and boat builders are wrong....

Get a pair of Harken 150's.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
You can have those jam cleats. I'll stick with cam cleats. I have those jam cleats on my Force 5 and not a big fan.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While now less popular than cam-cleats or the Spinlock PXR (really an updated clam), the clamcleat still has its place on boats. Due to its fore/aft mounting, it can be mounted in many places that the wider left-right mounting of a cam will not work, like on a boom or on a very curved surface. And they are indeed stronger, and much less prone to fail.

To QuikAG, I recommend NEVER putting a spin sheet in any device lake that.... when you need it to run free, it really needs to go and not get caught. While racing spin sheets should never be tied down. Just get a good set of ratcheting blocks. Trimming. Its a full time job.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
:shhh: I much prefer a self jamming horn cleat for jib sheets, but I might be stuck in that mud. ;)

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Well, lots of suggestions, as usual .. :)
I have tried adding another wrap to the winch and that seems to help, but the wind has not been as heavy as of late. Sadly, I need to pull the boat this weekend so the real tests will need to wait until fall. I purchased Don's book and will have something to do over the winter .. ponder the possibilities.
cec

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I find those incredibly dangerous, not muddy. :)
Dare I even ask why? I could imagine many things on a boat as being incredibly dangerous, but a horn cleat would not be one of them :poke: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Dare I even ask why? I could imagine many things on a boat as being a potential danger, but a horn cleat would not be one of them :poke: :biggrin:
I think it's because he feels that a line could easily get hung up in the jam, if one doesn't take a modicum of care to not allow that to happen.
I like my self-jammers.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Dare I even ask why? I could imagine many things on a boat as being a potential danger, but a horn cleat would not be one of them :poke: :biggrin:
You had to know someone would have a story: A crew member of mine, who wasn't always in tune with what's going on, impaled her leg on a horn cleat while we were rounding a leeward mark. The transition from a flat boat to heeled threw her off balance. That was a trip to the ER.

Dec 7, 2014
Catalina 27 Alcova Boat Club
Watch the water for the puff or gust. Steer into the puff or gust and be ready to let the main out.