Quick Release of Jib Sheets

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hi Guys,
Well, I need to pull my boat from the lake in two weeks so this is a question for next year, but I am relatively new to sailing and I was knocked down a few weeks ago. Put the fear of God in me ...
I have had many good suggestions on how to better control boat heal on this forum (thanks) but have a question on setup. The appended pic shows that I have a cam cleat for the sheet next to the winch. This works great but the line is very difficult to release under stress, i.e., exactly when I want to if I start to feel "uncomfortable" while the boat is healing. Any recommendations for a better set up that allows easy release under tension.
Thanks, as usual, for the info.
carlos

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Pulling straight up does not pull it out quickly? Cam cleats are kind of the standard for securing the jib sheets if you don't have self-tailers. Maybe someone has a different design that works better but a good yank upwards should pull it out.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Your's looks fine. Theoretically, you should be able to release the sheet by just yanking the sheet upward... but it can be difficult when sheet is under a lot of tension. Cam cleats work better if you pull back and up. If you can't pull back under load... wait till the sail starts to luff to relieve a little tension.... Or you can stick the handle back in the winch and grind it back a tad to release... then remove handle before throwing off the sheet. When you're ready to cast off completely.... pull the sheet straight up off the drum... don't try to unwind it.

Don't winch the sail down too hard in the first place.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I agree with John VTX about releasing the main first. But if you want to release the jib and it's too tight to pull from the cam cleat, maybe you need more wraps on the winch. If you have 4 wraps the cam cleat shouldn't have to do too much. Many boats have a horn cleat and typically one wrap around that is adequate. If 4 wraps doesn't pretty much hold the sheet on the winch look at the winch. Maybe the knurling or friction finish need redoing.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I agree with Joe, pull back & up. Pulling straight up doesn't help release the load from the cam. It works the same way setting the line in the cam. You have to pull back and down simultaneously. Usually, it's harder to get the hang of the motion when setting the line in the cam than it is releasing the line.

If you are loaded to the extent that you can't pull back, you've got too much load on your sail, especially for a small boat. Or, perhaps the winches need servicing?
I use a horn cleat for my head sails. It is slower and that might not be a good thing on a smaller boat that heals very quickly.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Just a slight thread drift but do they not make cam cleats with the release lever anymore?. My C22 has them and work great. I little downward tension on the sheet and the cams open.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
How many wraps do you have on the winch before it goes to the cleat?

With three or so wraps, you should have enough friction on the sheet/drum to allow it to be pulled up easily. This means that the winch (correctly) is bearing the load of the sheet. Too few wraps and the the cleat is holding it. Not good for the cleat, or you.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
How many wraps do you have on the winch before it goes to the cleat?

With three or so wraps, you should have enough friction on the sheet/drum to allow it to be pulled up easily. This means that the winch (correctly) is bearing the load of the sheet. Too few wraps and the the cleat is holding it. Not good for the cleat, or you.
Beat me to it as usual. The wraps may be slipping causing a lot of extra tension on the cleat.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Typically (never) you do not ease the jib when getting over powered. You ease the main. In gusty conditions when I am occasionally getting overpowered I have the main sheet in hand ready to quickly ease the main. That is; when I am racing or generally wanting to go as fast as possible. If I want to relax, maybe smoke a cigar, I will just ease the main down and leave it down with a good amount of it (maybe half or more) back winded. If you need to ease it more to make the boat behave then do so. You should not be fighting with the boat.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Harken makes a cam cleat with a mechanism that allows the cams to be easily opened under load by just applying downward pressure on the sheet. They work really well. I fitted a main sheet block with one of these because I was having problems releasing the sheet in high winds. The hardware is sold by Harken as a Nash Trigger Cleat. They are still available. Here is what it looks like.
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.18.39 PM.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It does not get much easier then a cam cleat. Just pull on the sheet while lifting it up. I doubt that the tension on the jib sheet of a Catalina 22 would be that strong.

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks, as usual, for all the feedback. In reading all of this, I think that I need to add another wrap on the winch (I have been using 2). Based on prior discussions, I have been easing the main to control healing, which works well. Then I go to the jib, although sometimes I only fly the jib. So releasing it has been troublesome at times, but the suggestions here will likely help. My primary issue (other than not having the faintest idea of what I am doing :)) is that the wind on Lake Dillon shifts quickly and often, from dead to gusts that come off the mountains; this is how I got knocked down. SO, I often sail with the main sheet in hand, ready at a moments notice. I suppose that this is what experience is for!

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
SO, I often sail with the main sheet in hand, ready at a moments notice. I suppose that this is what experience is for!
:plus: If it's a crazy, gusty day, this is a good idea.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think that the gusts and wind shifts that are normal for Dillon Reservoir are pretty uncommon where most people sail. Lake sailing is typically far more shifty than coastal sailing. Mountain lakes are shifty and gusty to the extreme, I think. You will have to be far more vigilant about wind conditions than most of us. When you do get a chance to do some coastal sailing, you will certainly enjoy the contrast! Winds will be far more consistent than what you will now become accustomed to.

You should probably sail with a smaller jib that you won't have to worry about when it is set and the gusts hit you. You should probably concentrated on outfitting your boat with a main sheet block & tackle system that will make your hand loads easier to manage. That usually means more purchase. If you have a 4:1 system now, consider upgrading to something greater.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Yea, Dillon is the only place I've seen boats sailing upwind with jibs and upwind with chutes on the same leg! ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yea, Dillon is the only place I've seen boats sailing upwind with jibs and upwind with chutes on the same leg! ;-)
You've never been to Bayfield! ;-)

Best advice I can offer the OP is to always be looking in the direction of the aparent wind, and watching the water for signs of puffs coming. You get good at that and everything is a lot easier.

Mar 23, 2015
Yes, have gotten used to constantly scanning the water surface. I have a 4:1 mainsheet block and tackle, but that works just fine for me. I have recently purchased mast gates so that I can reef the main and I have a furler and adjust the genoa to where I feel reasonably comfortable. Getting better at controlling the heel but still paranoid about "puffs". My wife captured the knock down on her iPhone ... quite entertaining.