Quick release for the forstay

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I thought the design from CD was simply a quick release, that didn't require re-adjusting the tension ?
Once it's tuned you simply connect or disconnect . At least that is what their product info says.

No workee that way in the real world ?
Yeah, not in my world, anyway. Other people have reported differently. But trailer sailing setup and takedown seems to get the rigging out of tune pretty quickly, especially the forward lowers, which get disconnected and reconnected every time. They're always going to be a half turn or full turn from where you left them. It adds up. Plus, the Johnson levers are remarkably bulky and heavy, and require special attention when you're wrapping things up for the drive home. Long story short, I found they took up more time than they saved, EXCEPT for the one on the forestay. That one I love. I leave it set on on the loose, light air setting, and tension it as needed using the adjustable backstay.

I still have the two Johnson levers I took off my forward lowers, if anyone wants them I'll make a deal. ;)

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Those may work. What I am going to be doing is to trailer sail this way I can choose between 3 lakes neer me and I want to save time rigging etc. I have a very fast mast raising system so I want to save time on the rest.
I'd like to see ow you're raising your mast. I'm looking for some ideas to make it easier on my girlfriend and I, preferably without her having to do anything. That would make things so much better.... :biggrin:

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I'd like to see ow you're raising your mast. I'm looking for some ideas to make it easier on my girlfriend and I, preferably without her having to do anything. That would make things so much better.... :biggrin:
I always raise mine alone. I use the boom vang. I think I do it like Stingy Sailor's video shows but I haven't watched it in a while so I'm not sure. It's super easy and quick with no setup required for a raising system. I've got a time lapse video of me doing it but no full length version.

Apr 7, 2017
Catalina 22 Trailer
Gene
I'd like one of those levers for my forestay if you still have one.
Just brought a 78 swing keel home a couple days ago.
Thanks
Dan