1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Quick question..halyard slapping in nearby boat, in marina.

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by genec, May 27, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    US HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
    Yup, good video.

I have seen my halyards start to do a very similar oscillation in high winds... and realized that any unsecured longer length of line is just merely asking for the right wind to push it into harmonic oscillation like that... once that starts, the whole rig starts humming and really... it's just not a good thing.

2. Bob14330

Bob14330

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    1 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 20
    US Tucson-Mexico & S. Calif. AZ
    As a novice to marina courtesy, I just figured that came with the territory with a windy spot. I guess it never kept me awake. Sorry if mine was the one slapping.

3. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    US HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
    In low wind conditions... halyards gently slapping on masts is like wind chimes... but as those winds gust up to 20 knots or higher... that "gentle slap" becomes a "bang" and the potential for damage becomes much higher... damage to sheaves, mast and halyards. Keep in mind, that is the sound of wear and tear.

4. captbob47

captbob47

Joined Oct 6, 2015
    4 posts, 3 likes
    Compac 27
    US Anderson, SC
    Fix it twice then haul it up the mast.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.