Questions about the running rigging on a CP22.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Just got my 2015 cp-22. The bow plate has an additional verticle tang in front of the 3 holes. Is this for attaching the asym spinnaker? Too cold in NJ to take anything apart to see how the PO attached the spinnaker (if at all). Looks like a block attached to the vertical tang would allow the spinnaker tack to be adjusted up or down to clear the pulpit. Any help before spring would be greatly appreciated.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Just got my 2015 cp-22. The bow plate has an additional verticle tang in front of the 3 holes. Is this for attaching the asym spinnaker? Too cold in NJ to take anything apart to see how the PO attached the spinnaker (if at all). Looks like a block attached to the vertical tang would allow the spinnaker tack to be adjusted up or down to clear the pulpit. Any help before spring would be greatly appreciated.
I think what you are referring to (pictures are always easier) is the attachment for the forestay. As to a spinnaker there are different ways of adding one depending what kind of spinnaker and ease of use.... I used an adjustable bowsprit that I added for my asym (see my profile picture and there is a whole thread here describing the install and some other people talking about this). The other way would be using a sleeve around the jib as an attachment point to raise an asymmetrical.... http://www.atninc.com/atn-tacker-sailing-equipment.shtml

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I've admired your sprite but not ready to do the work you did. The attached photo is of the bow plate. The front strap attaching to the hull extends above the three holes for the forestay. Looking at corrosion marks indicates the stay is attached to the forward hole. The boat came with an asym with a sock. Don't know how it was attached to the bow. Could be just attached to the bow plate vertical tang or ????. Thought I would try using the spinnaker next season before thinking about mods to make it better. Attaching a block ahead of the forestay with an adjustable tack line seemed to be a good way to get the tack ahead of the pulpit. If it works, I'll see how often I use the spinnaker before changing the boat. I almost exclusively solo sail, so may find the spinnaker too much to handle at my advanced age (I started the baby boom).

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Ups, We are in the wrong forum.... Unfortunately don't have admin privileges in the C22 forum. Let me contact the site admin to move the posts over to CP22....

Jul 28, 2016
The forestay should attach to the foreward most tang - it sounds like someone miss-rigged your boat previously.