Question regarding chainplates

Jul 27, 2020
Benteau Oceanis 321 Southampton
Its complete lunacy to build a boat like this!!

I am just about to embark on this job and would greatly appreciate knowing how you got on?
How long ios the steel rod inserted at each end?
Can it be wiggled out or doe it have to be cut out?
Does Beneteau give a specification or replacemnet part for this?

THANKS

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
This is how it is supposed to look. It is likely surface rust. I don't see how you could get that pin out of there w/o a lot of work. I'd have an engineer friend look at it. Maybe tap it a few times.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2020
Benteau Oceanis 321 Southampton
I am going to take down the mast and release the chain plate to try to release the bolt but wondered how long it is and where I might possibly get a replacement?

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
I got that picture from Beneteau USA. You go to Beneteau USA Spare Parts. The site is a bit awkward. You have to register. Once in, go to models, and the archived ones. Pick 381 Oceanis and then search by "drawings". Then hit "Rigging", then "standing rigging". You will then be at the blueprint diagrams. You can then order online.

Jun 9, 2020
Beneteau 361 North East, Maryland
You will need to clean it down to unblemished metal and get the measurement of what you have left for the horizontal bar diameter.
An engineer needs to look at the design loads to tell if what's left is acceptable.
Luckily, the design transfers the vertical load totally in shear so the calculations/assumptions are simple.
There are ways to work around this without cutting the glass, depending on what you have left for 'good' metal and the shape of the corrosion intrusion. You may be able to sleeve it, as all shear loads are vertical.
You may also be able to cut back into the glass on each side until you get to 'virgin' metal plus a bit on each side. Then you can add a sleeve (make damn sure you don't introduce dissimilar metal corrosion) and use glass to reinforce the area. You're dealing with loads here so you'll need assistance on how the layup should be done.
I'm not there so you have to have someone who knows what they're doing to tell you what needs to be done.

Dec 15, 2020
Beneteau 361 Mobile
Good morning all,
Having the same problem on a 2001 361 I am looking at to buy.
Anyone has any further comment to add, or heard about the outcome of the original poster?
The real problem is it cannot be assessed properly without removing everything above that rod, a somewhat complicated process and not something that you can usually do without actually buying the boat and then if it turns out to be major you’re stuck with it!