Question regarding chainplates

mannc3

May 17, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 381 Cataumet
Have a 1999 Beneteau 381, and the chainplate on the port side is showing rust on the horizontal rod that the U-shaped end of the Tie-Rod connects. Apparent leak in the chainplate decking mount.

That horizontal rod (no idea what it is called) is now a safety concern, and it seems to be glassed in - is there a non-destructive way to replace that rod?

Thanks,
Chris

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
First... pictures always help.
Second.... sometimes (most times) destruction is the easiest way to get things done...... at least for me.

Greg

mannc3

May 17, 2019
Quite right on the photos - I am awaiting them from the surveyor
From a construction description, it looks like these rods were glassed in and meant to be permanent, so I think destruction is the only route

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
That must have been a long neglected leak, the chain plates are stainless and you must unbolt the vertical rod inside the boat to pull out from deck to re-bed .The round hole in the top of the chainplate, is just the sealant Beneteau uses ,I machined 2 delrin plugs to press into the holes along with 4000uv to rebed

mannc3

May 17, 2019
Hi Mechone, quite right that the leak must have been there for a long time, but the corroded part is the horizontal bar embedded in the glass at the bottom. Looks like it is impossible to replace without a major repair, see link to photo:

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Wow that's nasty, make sure the deck hasn't gone soft around the chain plate also. Anything with glass is repairable ,looks like it needs to be cut out replaced with new 316 That is the strongest part of the hull where the matrix is glassed to the hull ,everywhere else it's glued. Bring your wallet and have it done by a good shop, like I said earlier anything can be repaired with glass in fact made stronger than factory Kevlar / Carbon fiber Matt more bridging of the glass etc ...good luck

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm not a Beneteau owner, but it would seem counter intuitive that a sailboat manufacturer would design and build something that required regular routine maintenance to do so without access.

Island Packet owners notwithstanding.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I'm not a Beneteau owner, but it would seem counter intuitive that a sailboat manufacturer would design and build something that required regular routine maintenance to do so without access.

Island Packet owners notwithstanding.
Really that leak is from years of neglect by owner ,the piece in question should have been good for life mine is 1994 and still looks new.I'm quite sure there items on your own boat that should be for life ,but you may have to cut the deck out because you neglected a leak

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm quite sure there items on your own boat that should be for life ,but you may have to cut the deck out because you neglected a leak
1) Not true. I have superb access for literally everything. And nothing, especially on a boat, is for "life."
2) True that if neglected it would be. I don't have that problem, 'cuz I keep ahead of those kind of issues. Not everyone does.
I keep repeating that chainplates are part of basic maintenance. The fact that they are all too often neglected doesn't change that fact.

Pretty cool, actually, Mechone, we get a yes and a no all in one reply! :)

mannc3

May 17, 2019
Thanks Bluenose, running my finger on the surface on the bottom left and right caused flakes of rust to come off. Seems to have penetrated quite a bit

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
It is hard to tell from the picture how much space/access you have at the fore/aft "ends" of that fiberglass, but if it were me, I'd try drilling a hole at both fore and aft ends, just a bit larger than the diameter of that rod, such that (after you take tension off the shrouds/chainplate) you could tap the rod out from one end. Even beyond that rod, I'd inspect the rest of the attached hardware there as well, replacing anything else suspect under the "while I'm in there" approach. Presumably you've inspected the rest of the chainplates on your boat and they're not all in similar condition. Besides the obvious suggestion of fixing the leak/source, I'd also see if I could figure out where else the water went (downstream) from there... presumably into the bilge, but did it pool/corrode anywhere else along its journey? Electrical connections? Keel bolts? wherever it went before leaving the boat. It should be easy enough to follow the trail of rust it would have left behind. Good luck!

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Flakes of rust would be OK, may not impact the structure. Disassemble and investigate further, may not be as bad as you think.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It appears the stainless piece is around a non stainless rod or bar. That does not look right. Perhaps a previous owner inserted a non stainless piece doing a repair. If this is structural it will require repair.

Sounds like your in the middle of a purchase. Your Survey should be enlightening. It might be a boat to walk away from.

Does not look like a Beneteau manufacturer repair to me.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It appears the stainless piece is around a non stainless rod or bar. That does not look right. Perhaps a previous owner inserted a non stainless piece doing a repair. If this is structural it will require repair.
I agree. Stainless may get crevice corrosion and ooze some rust, but that looks like all out rusting of a more mild steel. My guess is it's not OEM and should be replaced. Of course, once you have it out cleaning or replacing are the easy parts - it's getting it out that seems to be your problem, and for that I don't have an answer.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I just looked at mine it is not that big of a job .Remove the chainplate and attaching hardware off the pin.
The Glass is very thick on top where the load would be and very thin underneath. Use a dremel with a flex attachment and a sanding drum. Grind the bottom of the thin epoxy coating(its not glass)underneath ,then hit the pin straight down and it will come out .Feel the under side of the pin and you will know what im talking about. Put new pin in ,mix up some thickened epoxy ,hold the pin up and epoxy back in

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Well that makes sense that the toughest part would be above, as that is where the load would be.

mannc3

May 17, 2019
Thanks Mechone - so the pin is smaller than that support so it can be maneuvered out of that hole?