Question on boot stripe & water line

Apr 23, 2018
Catalina 22 Providence
Hi, I'm a new owner of a 1983 Catalina 22. Stripping the old, partially pealing and delaminating barrier coats, anti-fouling, and added boot stripe reveals the original boot stripe (in the gel coat?) that follows a different line. Towards the stern, the newer waterline that I'm stripping off runs higher, as much as 2"-3" higher at the stern, while at the bow they were identical with the new water line following the old. I noticed on some pictures of other boats, notably the forum topic "Commissioning Tasks and Ongoing Improvements of a 1983..." started in 2016, a very similar difference in old vs. new waterline. ( https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/a-seagul-3-yard-pix-11-jpg.120149/) Look carefully, and you can see the older "red" waterline dive below the new black paint.

Is that common in 1983 Catalina's? Was the waterline too low at the stern in the stock boat? Should I follow the original waterline in repainting, or follow the newer water line I just stripped off? I was going to leave the original boot stripe exposed, as it is in fair condition, other than the chalking of the gelcoat that can be polished. I was, however, going to put on new barrier layers and antifouling. However, this would look funny if it covers up the boot stripe at the stern, in which case I would also paint on a new boot stripe.

Advice? Thank you!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Some of it has to do with how you load the boat, motor, fuel etc. but the cat 22 does sit low in the water at the dock. In the 3 years since I put the bottom paint on it and it has been in the water since I have noticed only growth was half dozen small barnacles in the last 2 feet of the boot stripe on the port stern quarter (motor side). So you could move the boot-stripe up a couple of inches. Or I think what I am going to do, (late arrival after 40 years of owning boats and painting them to awareness) is to use a contrasting color anti fouling paints for the boot stripe. Just happen to have some gold colored left overs is a quart can. Will keep ya posted.

Apr 23, 2018
Catalina 22 Providence
Yes - I suspected as much...ignoring the experiences of 35 years of prior owners would be to my detriment. They probably experienced the growth in the stern, and then raised the level of the waterline paint as a result.