question on bleeding lines

John R

Oct 9, 2012
Catalina 36 Emeryville
A month or so ago, my boat engine wouldn't start, and it turned out that the cause was air in the fuel line. That, in turn, was due to my having run the engine when it was low on fuel. After bleeding the line, everything was fine. So my question: Why is it that if you have air in a line (fuel or - I think - also coolant) that the pump won't just push the air through the line? Why does the air stop the liquid from circulating?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
There are typically two pumps in the fuel system. There is a low pressure pump that pulls fuel from the tank and thru the filters and delivers it to the high pressure injection pump. Then the high pressure injection pump forces the fuel at 2000-3000psi to the fuel injectors with the correct timing to be burnt in the cylinders. One would think that with all that pressure any air would be forced completely through the system.
But the injectors in cylinders are a spring-loaded valve that don't open until the fuel reaches a "pop-off" pressure. That pressure is less than the maximum pressure of the injection pump, but is well over 1000psi. These two devices- the injection pump and the injectors are calibrated and timed to allow fuel into the cylinders at the right time and deliver the right amount. As long as the fuel lines are completely filled with fuel, everything works as designed. The key point is that the diesel fuel cannot compress so the injection pump can push the fuel through the injectors. However if there is air in the lines, when the injection pump pushes the diesel, the air between the fuel and the injector simply compresses because the air is a gas. It is just like a air-shock absorber. So the fuel never gets to the injector and the injector never opens because it never sees the full injector pump pressure. Bottom line is that the fuel never gets to the cylinder, nor does the air get expelled from the fuel lines.
So when you crack open an injection line at the injector, you allow the air in the lines to be pushed out leaving only diesel fuel in the line. Now the injection pump can push the diesel through the injector and the engine receives fuel.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Yes, great explanation.
As for the coolant lines, if it's a centrifugal pump, those won't pump air so once the bubble hits the pump it's all done. A rubber impeller pump usually will push the air out.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
You have explained the air in the system so well that even I can visualize it. Thanks, Rich.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I'm glad that my explanation has helped and I appreciate your comments. But I can't take all the credit. My source is the United States Power Squadron course on "Engine Maintenance". This is just one of the many courses that are offered to promote safe boating and to help us boaters to be capable of dealing with the variety of issues that arise from time to time.
Disclosure: I am a 32 year USPS member, a squadron Past Commander, and have completed every course offered. I highly recommend membership and courses to everyone who goes to sea.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
hey rich nice explanation ! i too am a longtime USPS member, but just an EO . i'm currently struggling with junior navigation and sextant sights right now (in case i ever get ship w recked without a gps and need to know where i am ...) unfortunately my sextant sights are putting me somewhere near tanzania. sigh...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
hey rich nice explanation ! i too am a longtime USPS member, but just an EO . i'm currently struggling with junior navigation and sextant sights right now (in case i ever get ship w recked without a gps and need to know where i am ...) unfortunately my sextant sights are putting me somewhere near tanzania. sigh...
MitchM - Nothing wrong with EO! I am EO right now and I've also done AO for a few years too. As for JN, the sad truth is that it will all become clear after you complete Navigation! For your sextant sights, just make sure you have the correct time and your known time correction. Have someone else record your time with your sights to eliminate errors in your time. A few seconds of error can put you out of your needed accuracy. But, rejoice, because you no longer need to do the 3-body fix!