Question About Polishing Hull

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I invested in a Makita commercial type buffer about 15 years ago. One of the best power tools I ever bought. If you Are going to compound, polish, & wax anything over 30 feet, you need a commercial quality machine, period. Last haul out I followed Mainesail's alternate method with 3M super duty compound, 3M Finessit, Meguiars'#9, Collinite paste wax. Came out great! The guys in the yard were even impressed; wanted to give me a job!!! Will haul out in the fall; might try Presta products next time.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
BigEasy;
Even with the small boats I would do it the way I said which in a way coincides with Mainsail. It takes a lot of prep work but with minimal effort after that if the hull is cleaned and waxed once a year. Mainsail did an excellent job on his post.

The fellow who used 250 grit would be best advised to use lightly 400 then 600 wet and dry carefully. We do not know the extent of how much effort with the 250 grit but he can comment on that followed with a photo.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
BigEasy;

The fellow who used 250 grit would be best advised to use lightly 400 then 600 wet and dry carefully. We do not know the extent of how much effort with the 250 grit but he can comment on that followed with a photo.
Dave,
With your past experience and results, you are giving sound advice to not over do it with sanding. My experience thru the years has been with minimally oxidized top sides that only required compound/polish/wax. What you are recommending makes sense; don't want to remove any more gelcoat than necessary. Cant over emphasize that yearly maintenance is the key after the initial sanding and compounding to preserve the gelcoat and make it shine!

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I invested in a Makita commercial type buffer about 15 years ago. One of the best power tools I ever bought. If you Are going to compound, polish, & wax anything over 30 feet, you need a commercial quality machine, period. Last haul out I followed Mainesail's alternate method with 3M super duty compound, 3M Finessit, Meguiars'#9, Collinite paste wax. Came out great! The guys in the yard were even impressed; wanted to give me a job!!! Will haul out in the fall; might try Presta products next time.
Agree Makita is the way to go. Designed to do the job best. I also have 3 inch foam pads for deck work. I think you will find Presta works easier and gives better results.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The key with any buffer is not to go over 1000 rpm and never hold the buffer in one place or you will burn the gel coat. Most buffers will not have variable speed and generally will suggest shy away from them. In addition most pads that the polish cover attaches to are generally stiff but the disc it style by 3 M gives more flexibility over others but tad more expensive. YOu can keep those for years if properly taken care of. I stayed away from the hard pads that never gave.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I was watching an episode of Florida Sportsman's Project Dream Boat this weekend and a guy came to their shop for a hull detailing. The boat was dark green gel-coat heavily oxidized. They made one pass around the boat using a buffer in 2' X 2'sections with this stuff, and it looked amazing.
Buff Magic.jpg
Have any of you used this product?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I like the Makita polisher, I chose it because the yard where I had my first boat used them and recommended them.
There are other commercial polishers that are just as good. As Crazy Dave mentioned, just make sure it has a variable speed feature. I like using the threaded 3M double sided pads that attach to the Makita with a spindle attachment; they do last a long time if you care for them properly. A couple years ago, I stumbled onto another adaptor that enables me to use smaller diameter Lake Country foam pads for doing the cabin sides and cockpit areas. Much easier to maneuver around fittings and small spaces with the smaller foam pads as compared to the large 3M pads that are best for large surface areas like the topsides. I purchased the Lake Country foam pads and adaptor from AutoGeek.