Question about hanging a zinc over the side

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
The lift didn't quite work today. After they lifted the stern clear of the water, the crane started to slip - the boat was just a bit too heavy for it. Thankfully I wasn't lying on the wooden raft under the boat. It goes to show how a seemingly simple operation could kill you. If I'd been lying on the raft when the boat came down, it would have been potentially fatal.

Thanks in part to some of the feedback here, I found a dive shop in Amsterdam that will rent me a tank for a day or two. I will plan to do that when I return from a trip back to Maine. My mom is in her last days.

Thanks for all the feedback here, and glad to see the board still continuing.

PS notice the old tower of Hoorn in the background. Many of the East Indies expeditions sailed from this harbor, as well as the expedition that discovered and named Cape Horn.

Max
View attachment 135058
I'm glad nobody was hurt. Note also that the crane uses a hydraulic cylinder to raise the arm? A failed oil seal or hose could let it down FAST! I'd never trust hydraulics alone for overhead lifting. If using a hydraulic jack I always put something else in place before getting any body parts under the load (e.g. When jacking the car I place a jack stand or lay a tire beneath the car before trusting it).